- Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
Chemistry is a fascinating and diverse field that impacts almost every aspect of our lives including such areas as medicines, plastics, energy, and water quality. As a department, our goal is to provide rigorous preparation of citizens whose career paths require expertise in chemistry. Additionally, our faculty strive to contribute to a chemically literate society through teaching (with classrooms, labs, and research), scholarship, and service.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
Program offerings include a Bachelor of Science in chemistry or biochemistry, and a certificate in green chemistry.
The chemistry degree can be earned with coursework in any of four different emphases:
Visit www.gvsu.edu/catalog for coursework information.
Graduates work in a variety of different fields, including:
- Environmental testing
Chemistry majors are also well prepared to attend graduate or professional schools in a variety of areas, including chemistry, medicine, education, biochemistry, and pharmacy.
Why Study Chemistry at Grand Valley?
- Faculty attention. Beyond the freshman year, our courses become smaller and more intimate. All upper-division courses are taught by Ph.D. chemists with specialized training and research expertise.
- Hands-on laboratories. Students gain extensive, firsthand experience preparing solutions, conducting experiments, and operating advanced research-quality instruments.
- Research experiences. Students have the opportunity to contribute to genuine scientific research on novel projects while receiving one-on-one mentoring from a faculty member.
- Academic flexibility. Our emphases provide a flexible learning experience for students.
- Professional development. Many of our students travel to professional meetings with their faculty mentors to present research findings and network with other researchers.
- Support. Endowments provide scholarships, grants, and fellowships for student tuition, travel, and research.
For More Information
Department of Chemistry
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University