Medical and Bioinformatics
The use of computer technology to manage and analyze information in healthcare and the life sciences.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
The Master of Science (M.S.) degree in medical and bioinformatics is a Professional Science Masters (PSM) program developed in parallel with the biostatistics and cell and molecular biology programs.
The medical and bioinformatics program has strong analytics, teamwork, business, communication, project management, and ethics components, and includes an intensive health or life science internship.
The three PSM degree programs are interdisciplinary and feature common core courses. The medical and bioinformatics program features:
- Directed courses in medical and bioinformatics
- An internship
- A culminating capstone experience
Medical and bioinformatics prepares students for careers in:
- Hospital systems and other healthcare providers
- Health information technology system vendors
- Life sciences and pharmaceutical companies
- Government and non-governmental agencies
- Research institutes
Visit www.gvsu.edu/grad/bioinfo for more details.
Why Study Bioinformatics at Grand Valley?
- Innovative program designed to integrate university coursework with business and industrial internships to educate informatics and bioinformatics professionals for the future.
- Opportunities to either collaborate with faculty members on ongoing research projects or create research opportunities independently.
- Access to a high-performance computing laboratory for medical and bioinformatics needs.
- Qualified faculty members with a wide breadth of experience in industry.
- Small class sizes of approximately 15 students.
For More Information
School of Computing And Information Systems
Medical and Bioinformatics Graduate Program
“Medical/health informatics and bioinformatics professionals are in a growing demand. They need competencies in computer science, healthcare, biology, and statistics, to meet the challenge of organizing and making best use of the large amount of information that is collected for healthcare and biological research. I believe there is a unique opportunity especially in (bio)medical informatics at the present time.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University