Section 3 - Adjunct Faculty
Adjunct Faculty are any Faculty appointed to full time or part time positions created for purposes such as working on grants or contracts, filling in for Regular Faculty who may be absent, completing specific projects, augmenting the Regular Faculty, teaching a single semester's course offering enhancing the programs of the university with distinguished Visiting persons, and for other purposes. Adjunct Faculty include visiting faculty, affiliate faculty, and part-time instructors (at any rank) as defined below. Adjunct Faculty are not eligible for nor do they accrue any credit toward academic tenure. There are no employment rights beyond the appointment terms stated below. Each appointing unit shall be responsible for carrying out an annual evaluation of Adjunct Faculty for the purpose of contract renewal.
1. Appointments. All Adjunct Faculty appointments shall be for specific but renewable periods of time and shall be subject to and limited to the conditions, benefits, and obligations herein outlined. All adjunct appointments are subject to regular evaluation.
Affiliate Faculty: Affiliate Faculty serve in a specialized role such as a clinical coordinator, field supervisor, or may be selected to teach a limited range of courses. Those individuals who are selected to teach full time normally maintain twelve (12) to eighteen (18) credit hours per semester. Those individuals selected to teach part time normally maintain six (6) to eleven (11) credit hours per semester. Such individuals are normally not terminally qualified in their respective discipline. Initially, upon hire, individuals will be appointed for one academic year, or fiscal year if appropriate, on a full time or part time basis. This may be renewed once for an additional academic or fiscal year. Thereafter, such individuals may be appointed for three (3) consecutive academic or fiscal years. Employment contracts are renewable. If no notification of renewal is given by May 1 of the second year of the contract, it will not be renewed. Appointment exceptions must be approved in advance by the Provost. The terms and conditions of appointment will be covered in the employment contract.
Visiting Faculty: Appointments will be made on full time or part time basis for one (1) academic or fiscal year. Such appointments are normally not renewable beyond three (3) one-year appointments.
Senior Part-Time Instructor: Part-Time Instructors who have taught for Grand Valley for a minimum of a five-year time span including within that time at least eight semesters of teaching and there is a continuing need, are eligible for appointment as Senior Part-Time Instructor. Senior Part-Time Instructors may be appointed to one-year contracts when a Unit Head determines there is a sufficient demand for the courses offered.
Part-Time Instructor: Appointments to teach one or more classes for a single academic semester.
The university may terminate any Adjunct Faculty appointment at any time, upon 7 calendar days written notice, for the following reasons:
1. Financial reasons as determined by the Office of the Provost.
2. Course and/or program elimination.
3. Committing an act of professional incompetence, moral turpitude, neglect of professional responsibilities, or conviction of a felony.
4. Failure to follow instructions and directions of the unit head and/or appointing officer.
5. Violation of university Policies and Procedures.
2. Salary Administration. A compensable pay period shall be any period in which an Adjunct Faculty member has fulfilled all of his/her assigned responsibilities. For all or any part of such a period when an Adjunct Faculty member has failed to meet the assigned responsibilities of compensable service he/she shall incur a proportionate forfeiture.
Adjunct Faculty shall be compensated in accordance with the Adjunct Faculty Compensation Schedule. Salary is normally paid in semi-monthly installments.
In the case of Visiting Faculty and Affiliate Faculty whose appointments are renewed, salary advancement will normally be based on meritorious service. Adjustments will normally take effect at the beginning of the academic or fiscal year. For the purposes of Section 3.2, the academic year or fiscal year begins August 15.
The minimum rate will normally apply for persons possessing qualifications not significantly above the minimum. The starting rates will be administratively set by the appointing officer at a level judged to be commensurate with the applicant's educational credentials, prior experience, special skills, and promising qualities. For purposes of Sections 2 and 3, the academic year or fiscal year begins August 15.
1. Holidays. For full time Affiliate Faculty the following days are University's holidays: (usually the Friday preceding any such holiday which falls on Saturday and the Monday following any such holiday which falls on Sunday):
New Year's Day day following Thanksgiving Day Memorial Day day preceding Christmas Day Independence Day Christmas Day Labor Day day preceding New Year's Day Thanksgiving Day
Two (2) floating holidays scheduled during the Christmas break; plus up to two (2) additional floating holidays scheduled during the Christmas - New Year's break, if the university is officially closed. A full time Affiliate Faculty is not eligible for holiday pay if the holiday occurs during an unpaid leave of absence, or if the holiday falls during a suspension without pay, or if the holiday occurs during a time when he/she is not on pay status, such as during the summer.
2. Life and Medical Insurance. The university will provide coverage under the Grand Valley Flexible Medical Plan for all Affiliate Faculty appointed one-half time or more and their dependents and household members (as defined by plan documents) to the extent of the group insurance policies in effect provided the Affiliate Faculty member's appropriate payments are maintained. The schedule of benefits provided and their cost are described in the materials available through the Human Resources Office. Affiliate Faculty are also eligible to participate in the group life insurance policy with coverage equal to the individual's base salary. Plan information is available in the Human Resources Office.
3. Vacation. Affiliate Faculty do not accrue vacation; however, Affiliate Faculty on full time fiscal year appointments may be allowed time off without loss of pay by the appointing officer not to exceed an amount equal to that granted other full time persons on fiscal year appointments.
4. Salary Continuation. Affiliate Faculty are eligible to participate in the university's salary continuation program. The program is designed to provide salary protection in the event of personal circumstances, which do not allow an faculty member to continue work. This program is intended only as a form of insurance and is subject to careful scrutiny of each appointing officer. The appointing officer may require proof that any absence at any time is appropriate. Salary continuation may be approved only for the following reasons:
a. Faculty member's childbirth, illness, injury, hospitalization, and appointments pertaining to health. In cases of injury compensable under workers' compensation or no fault auto insurance, salary continuation may be used to the extent that payments fail to equal the Faculty member's regular base earnings.
b. Faculty member's child (including stepchildren and adopted children), spouse, parent, or household member's injury, hospitalization, and appointments pertaining to health (limited to a reasonable amount).
c. The death of a Faculty member's child, spouse, brother, sister, parent, parent-in-law, or household member.
d. Attendance at a funeral other that above (maximum one day).
e. Inclement weather causing unusually hazardous conditions, which necessitates the closing of the university.
All Affiliate Faculty will be allowed compensation at their regular base rate of pay for an absence that falls under 4.a above for an entire absence period not to exceed six months from the date of illness, injury, or hospitalization.
5. Dental Insurance. The university will provide coverage for all Affiliate Faculty appointed one-half time or more and their dependents and household members provided the appropriate payments are maintained. The schedule of benefits provided and their cost are described in materials available through the Human Resources Office.
6. Retirement Plan Contributions. Affiliate Faculty will be eligible to participate in the university's retirement plan for regular Faculty. Plan information is available in the Human Resources Office.
7. Group Disability. Full time Affiliate Faculty appointed under a three-year employment contract will be eligible to participate in the university's disability plan, subject to the provisions of the master contract. Plan information is available in the Human Resources Office.
8. Tuition Reduction
a. Academic Participation for Faculty, Staff, Retirees. Affiliate Faculty may, with the approval of his/her supervisor, enroll in Grand Valley State University courses tuition free. Plan information is available in the Human Resources Office.
b. Reduced Tuition for Spouses, Eligible Dependents and Household Members of Faculty, Staff, and Retirees. The spouse, eligible dependents, and household members of Affiliate Faculty and retirees are eligible for a 50 percent reduction of their tuition costs for all Grand Valley State University courses. Spouses, eligible dependents, and household members who use this benefit are subject to the admission and academic requirements of the university. Plan information is available in the Human Resources Office.
9. Supplemental Retirement Accounts. Affiliate Faculty may elect to have the university provide payment for tax deferred saving plans which qualify for IRS Code Section 403(b) and beginning July 1, 2002 section 457(b) status through companies approved by the university. Affiliate Faculty can defer in such amounts as permitted by the IRS Code Section 403(b) and 457(b). The election of such a benefit in no way affects the Affiliate Faculty member's mandatory participation in the university's retirement program. The university retains the right to modify of terminate this optional deferral program upon reasonable notice to the participating Affiliate Faculty. Plan information is available in the Human Resources Office.
10. Flexible Spending Accounts. Affiliate Faculty may elect once a year to participate in the Flexible Spending Accounts pursuant to the plan established under IRS Code Section 125. The university retains the right to modify or terminate this program upon reasonable notice to staff. Plan information is available in the Human Resources Office.
1. Holidays. Visiting Faculty members are eligible for those holidays outlined above for Affiliate Faculty.
2. Life and Medical Insurance. Visiting Faculty members appointed one-half time or more and their dependents and household members are eligible for these benefits as outlined above for Affiliate Faculty.
3. Vacation. Visiting Faculty members do not accrue vacation; however, Visiting Faculty on full time fiscal year appointments may be allowed time off without loss of pay by the appointing officer not to exceed an amount equal to that granted other full time persons on fiscal year appointments.
4. Tuition Reduction. Visiting Faculty members are eligible for this benefit as outlined above for Affiliate Faculty.
5. Tax Deferred Annuities. Visiting Faculty members are eligible for this benefit as outlined above for Affiliate Faculty.
Part-Time and Senior Part-Time Instructor:
Part-Time and Senior Part-Time Instructors qualify for the holidays outlined above, workers' compensation insurance and unemployment coverage, and are eligible to make contributions to 403b/457b retirement fund. Part-Time and Senior Part-Time Instructors are not eligible for further participation in the university's benefits program.
Page last modified July 12, 2013