Section 5 - Adjunct Executive, Administrative, and Professional Staff
Adjunct Executive, Administrative, and Professional Staff, are staff members appointed to part-time or full time non-teaching exempt (qualifying for exemption from federal and state overtime provisions) positions created for temporary purposes such as working on grants or contracts, filling in for regular staff members who may be absent, completing specific projects, augmenting regular staff, and for other similar purposes.
All adjunct executive, administrative and professional staff shall be appointed in one of the following categories.
Adjunct Executive, Administrative and Professional staff are employed at the will of the university and have the right to terminate their employment at any time, with or without notice or cause. Likewise, the university may release Adjunct Executive, Administrative and Professional staff, with or without notice or cause, as it deems appropriate.
Category A - Full time or part-time for a full year.
Category B - Full time or part-time for a specific period of less than a full year.
Category C - Employment contract - appointment specified by contract.
All appointments shall be made in accordance with the provisions of this policy.
1. Compensation Rates. A compensable pay period will be any period when one has fulfilled all assigned responsibilities. For all or any part of such period when a staff member has failed to meet the requirements of compensable service, he or she will incur a proportionate lost-time forfeiture at a rate determined by dividing the base salary by the total number of payroll days during the term of appointment.
There are normally 260 payroll days per full year, 190 payroll days per academic year, and 95 payroll days per academic semester. Paychecks shall normally be semi-monthly. For purposes of Section 5.2, the academic year or fiscal year begins August 15.
2. Starting Rates. Starting rates for any staff member will be set within the approved salary range for the position, as listed in the Executive, Administrative and Professional staff compensation schedule. The minimum rate will normally apply for all staff members possessing qualifications not significantly greater than the minimum required. In any case, the starting rate will be set by the appointing officer in consultation with the Human Resources Office at a level judged to be commensurate with the applicant's educational credentials, prior experience, special skills, and promising qualities. Staff members who are appointed for additional limited and expressly stated terms of a year or less may be eligible for advancement within an authorized salary range for the same position provided that such opportunity will be granted only once within a fiscal year and such advancement is based on meritorious service.
3. Benefits. Benefits for Adjunct, Executive, and Administrative staff are limited to those listed below. Benefits for Category C staff are limited to those listed in the employment contract.
1. Holidays. For adjunct Executive, Administrative and Professional staff, the following are the university's holidays (usually the Friday preceding any such holiday which falls on Saturday and the Monday following any such holiday which falls on Sunday):
New Year's Day Thanksgiving Day Memorial Day day following Thanksgiving Day Independence Day day preceding Christmas Day Labor Day Christmas Day Day preceding New Year's Day
Two (2) floating holidays scheduled during the Christmas break; plus up to two (2) additional floating holidays scheduled during the Christmas - New Year's break, if the university is officially closed.
Adjunct Executive, Administrative and Professional staff will be paid for the above listed holidays that occur during their appointment. A staff member is not eligible for holiday pay if the holiday falls during a suspension without pay, or if the holiday occurs during a time when the staff member is not on pay status.
2. Vacation. Adjunct Executive, Administrative and Professional staff do not accrue vacation; however, Category A staff members appointed one-half time or more may be allowed paid off with the approval of the appointing officer, provided such arrangements are made at the time of appointment, not to exceed 10 days per year.
3. Salary Continuation. Adjunct Executive, Administrative and Professional staff may not participate in the university's salary continuation program. Appointing officers may, in consultation with the Associate Vice President for Human Resources, allow Category A staff members to have time off for illness without loss of pay in lieu of vacation, as outlined in 5.3.2, providing arrangements are made to fulfill all responsibilities. In no case shall the total amount of paid time off for illness exceed the amount allowed under 5.3.2.
4. Group Life and Medical Insurance. The university will provide coverage for all Category A adjunct Executive, Administrative and Professional staff appointed half-time or more and their dependents and household members to the extent of the group insurance policies in effect, provided the staff members appropriate payments are maintained.
5. Tuition Reduction Programs
a. Academic Participation for Category A Adjunct Executive, Administrative and Professional staff.
Category A staff members may, with the approval of his/her supervisor, enroll in Grand Valley State university courses tuition free, one of which may be taken during working hours each fiscal year. The materials describing the program are available in the Human Resources Office.
b. Reduced Tuition for Spouses, Eligible Dependents, and Household Members of Category A Adjunct Executive, Administrative and Professional staff.
The spouse, eligible dependents, and household members of Category A staff members are eligible for a 50 percent reduction of their tuition costs for all Grand Valley State University courses. Spouses, eligible dependents and household members who use this benefit are subject to the admission and academic requirements of the university. The materials describing the program are available in the Human Resources Office.
6. Supplemental Retirement Accounts. Adjunct EAP staff may elect to have the university provide payment for tax deferred saving plans which qualify for IRS Code Section 403(b) and beginning July 1, 2002 section 457(b) status through companies approved by the university. Staff members can defer in such amounts as permitted by the IRS Code Section 403(b) and 457(b). The university retains the right to modify of terminate this optional deferral program upon reasonable notice to the participating staff member. Plan information is available in the Human Resources Office.
Page last modified March 17, 2011