Allies & Advocates
Benefits of Being an Ally
- You open yourself up to the possibility of close relationships with a significant portion of the population.
- You have an opportunity to be a part of the LGBT movement for equality.
- You may become less likely to stereotype according to sex roles.
- You may increase your ability to have close and loving relationships with same-sex friends.
- You have opportunities to learn from, teach, and have an impact on a population with whom you might not otherwise interact with.
- You may be the reason an individual finally decides that his or her life is worth something.
Source: Condensed and adapted from N.J. Evans & V. Wall, 1991.
Page last modified December 22, 2010