Loutit Hall of Science
Loutit Hall was originally the Loutit Hall of Science. According to the Loutit Legacy, published in 1979 by the Loutit foundation: " The Loutit Foundation was formed in 1957 by William R. Loutit with several Grand Haven businessmen as trustees. In 1963. He was the sole surviving heir of Grand Haven's Loutit family and named the foundation for his father William H. Loutit.
The family ties to Grand Haven and Spring Lake, Michigan date back to 1856 when Captain William R. Loutit settled in the area and grew a lumber and shipping business.
The Foundation gave major funding to Grand Valley State University College to plan and start construction of a science building. The foundation assisted with funding for many parks, the Grand Haven Musical Fountain, a sesquicentennial celebration and even the Spring Lake Trolley. Generally, grants were not given to public institutions. Grand Valley State College was the first and only state institution to receive funds. Loutit Hall was dedicated in 1966 when the university was under the direction of Dr. James H. Zumberge.
Page last modified December 12, 2012