How do I get there?
"First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do." ~ Epictetus, philosopher
You know who you are and you know where you want to go. Time to answer the final question, How are you going to implement your career goals?
There are a multitude of resources to get you prepared for your future career. It’s time to get professional.
- If you haven’t done this already, make sure you have an account on LakerJobs, GVSU’s job and internship search database. Here you will find open internship and job positions to which you can (and should!) apply.
- Check out the Career Center events list to find when the following events are offered: Internship and Job Search Strategies, Fall and Winter Career Fairs, Personal Branding and Social Media, "Careers In" events related to your chosen career, How to Find and Land Freelance Work, and Dress for Success.
For individualized assistance, you are encouraged to meet with a career advisor for a resume review, simulated interview, or to learn strategies for implementing your internship or job search.
- Work hard to translate what you know and what you’ve done into career language that will speak to a future employer or graduate school – this chart can help to get you started.
- Develop a networking plan that includes reaching out to people who you already know as well as those you can get connected to via other outlets such as LinkedIn.
- Sign-up for US 301: Internship and Job Search Strategies.
- Are you considering graduate school? If so, participating in undergraduate research and seeking out funding are great next steps.
Utilizing these resources will help you to get to where you want to go ---> on the path to your perfect career!
© Copyright 2011-2012
Page last modified September 27, 2012