School of Criminal Justice
Grand Valley State University Telephone: (616) 331-7173
School of Criminal Justice Fax: (616) 331-7155
253-C DeVos Center E-Mail: email@example.com
401 W. Fulton Street
Grand Rapids, MI 49504
Professor Stevens joined the faculty of the School of Criminal Justice at Grand Valley in fall 2008. She started her career as an attorney with Legal Aid of Western Michigan and continued practicing law as a staff attorney and then managing attorney for UAW-GM Legal Services. She left UAW-GM to join Davenport University where she served for a number of years as a professor and the director of its paralegal studies program. While at Davenport, she received the Mentor Award from the Legal Assistants’ Section of the State Bar of Michigan in recognition of her work to advance the paralegal profession at the local and state level. She is happy to be a member of the Grand Valley community and looks forward to working with students, faculty, and staff.
Stevens is an active member of the Libraries and Legal Publications Committee of the State Bar of Michigan and has authored a number of articles on the topic of legal research in the Michigan Bar Journal. She contributed to a bibliography on the topic of legal reference services to the public that was published in Law Library Journal in fall 2008 and is currently working on a profile of one of the first women attorneys to practice in Grand Rapids.
She has taught Introduction to Law, Legal Research and Writing, Civil Litigation, Women and the Law, and Legal Thought at Grand Valley and also serves as the Legal Studies Coordinator.
B.A. in History, Harvard University, 1975
J.D. University of Michigan, 1980
M.L.I.S. Wayne State University, 2005
- Johnson, B. R., Stevens, R. S. (2013). The regulation and control of bail recovery agents: An exploratory study. Criminal Justice Review, 38(2), 190-206.
- “Legal Research: Is there an app for that?”, Michigan Bar Journal, June 2012
- “Domestic Violence Research Resources for Michigan Attorneys,” Michigan Bar Journal, September 2011
- “Unbundling of Legal Services: Selected Resources,” Michigan Bar Journal, September 2010
- “State Primary Law Materials in a Digital Era”, Michigan Bar Journal, July 2009, vol. 88, number 7, pp. 20-25, co-author, Jane Edwards
- “RSS Feeds: Worth A Look”, Michigan Bar Journal, January 2009
- “Legal Information Services to the Public SIS, 100 Law Library Journal 4, 728, Fall 2008, co-author John Cannan.
- “Print and Online Resources for Factual Investigation in Connection with Real-Estate Transactions”, Michigan Bar Journal, November 2007
- “Contract Law Resources”, Michigan Bar Journal, September 2005
- Stevens, Ruth S, Mullendore, K. B. and Ballard, J. D., Looking for the Law: ACJS Program Certification Standards and Introductory Criminal Justice Textbooks (December 19, 2012). Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2191769
- Edwards, J., & Stevens, R. (2010). Michigan. In American Association of Law Libraries (Ed.), 2009-2010 Updates to the state-by-state report on authentication of online legal resources (pp. 53-56). Retrieved from http://www.aallnet.org/Documents/Government-Relations/authen-rprt-updates/2009aallauthenticationreportupdates.pdf
Her interests also include research on public access to legal information, the teaching of legal research skills, and historical research on pioneering women in the legal profession.
Stevens, R. S., Bravender, P. E., Witteveen-Lane, C. (2012). Self-service Holds in Libraries: Is Patron Privacy Being Sacrificed for Patron Convenience? Reference & User Services Quarterly, 52(1), 33-44.
Page last modified July 29, 2014