College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Radio Interviews with CLAS Faculty
On the third Thursday of each month at 10:00am, WGVU's Shelley Irwin interviews a CLAS faculty member. We've been granted permission to provide these interviews as MP3 files for members of the GVSU community to enjoy.
In February 2008, Shelley Irwin received her fifth consecutive Gracie Allen Award for excellence as a program host.
One Friday per month, AWRI's Al Steinman speaks with Shelley on topics related to our waterways and research at the Institute.
Polly Diven, International Relations in May 2012
Mark Luttenton, Biology in June 2012
Figen Mekik, Geology in July
John Martin, Music in August
Steve Mattox, Geology in September
Daniel Mendelsohn, Fall Arts Celebration speaker, Medea on the Jersey Shore (Sept. 2012)
Ed Aboufadel in October
- Assoc. Dean Gary Stark on our German university partnership
- Cast and Crew talk to Shelley Irwin about the production of Antona Garcia
- Dean Frederick J. Antczak appeared in the recurring segment of the Shelley Irwin Show called “Regarding Politics.”
- Pablo Llerandi-Román of Geology speaks about his Spanish science blog.
- Psychology's Jennifer Gross teaching with technology award
- Chemistry professor Nathan Barrows on teaching with technology
- Sean O'Neill from the History Department speaking on a grant to assist with teaching students
- Biomedical Sciences' Deborah Lown and her work with community nutrition.
- Professor Senez Rodriguez discusses crisis intervention and the Start New program
- Neal Rogness (Statistics) and VP Jeanne Arnold speak about the myGVSU Climate Survey
Peter Wampler (Geology) speaks on a new scholarship for Haitian students
- Kevin Den Dulk (Political Science) talks to The Rapidian about how students at GVSU develop a stronger connection to the Grand Rapids community via their contributions to The Rapidian. http://therapidian.org/studio-kevin-den-dulk
- Colleen Lewis from the Department of Movement Science
- Pat Matthews, Biology instructor and paramedic.
- Avis Hewitt, English, speaks on her book on Flannery O'Connor
- Jodee Hunt (Biology) updates us on her studies in Nicaragua.
- Shawn Bible (dance in the Dept. of Music)
- Erik Nordman (NRM) on West Michigan Wind Turbine Assessment project
- Darren Walhof speaking on religion and politics (October)
- GVSU LipDub on YouTube
- Steve Mattox talks volcanos (September)
- Al Steinman is interviewed for Ordinary People Extraordinary Planet on KMR-Media. [sorry, link no longer available]
- Mary Schutten of Movement Science (and the CLAS Office) on her sabbatical work in Hawaii
- Mary deYoung of Sociology talks about her new book on madness.
- John Kilbourne of Movement Science talks on his teaching innovations with Shelley Irwin. John talks about exercise balls on NPR (5/18/09)
- Jim Schaub of the School of Communications speaks on his documentary "Up From the Bottoms--African American Migration to Muskegon, Michigan"
- Azizur Molla of Anthropology speaks on his work to protect us from radon gas
- Carmen Nochera of Biomedical Sciences speaks on her research involving the production of breadfruit flour to address world hunger
- Al Steinman on the Michigan Seagrant Fisheries Workshop and more.
- Ellen Yezierski and Deborah Herrington of Chemistry on their project to better High School Chemistry instruction, Target Inquiry.
- Melissa Morison of Classics on her recent archaeological experiences in Corinth and the new archaeology minor at GVSU.
- Inside Muskego podcasts Alan Steinman with the International Upper Great Lakes Study.
- Dean Frederick J. Antczak speaks with Shelley at the end of his third year (2007).
- Associate Professor of Biology, Jodee Hunt speaks about her interdisciplinary project benefiting the people of Nicaragua. November 27, 2007
- Al Steinman speaks about the reduction of prey fish in Lake Michigan and other topics. January '08.
Fred Antczak speaks on the rhetoric of the Michigan primary. January '08
Fred Antczak speaks on the "front-loaded" political process of candidate selection. February '08
Fred Antczak on the primary results in March '08
Fred Antczak on the political race, October 2008
Fred Antczak on the election result and its ramifications, November 2008
Fred Antczak on politics, looking toward the innauguration, Dec. 2008
- Hermann Kurthen, Sociology, on climbing a Russian mountain
- William Levitan's interview on his book Abelard & Heloise.
- Danielle Wiese on new political communication technologies
- James Goode of History speaks about his book and the Middle East.
- Brad Wallar of Chemistry speaks on the impact of his National Science Foundation grant. July 2008.
- Gary Stark, Associate Dean of CLAS speaks on his recent study abroad trip to Poland.
- Jim Penn of Geography, with two of his students, on the Peruvian Amazon.
- Communications' Danielle Wiese on new media politics on election day.
- Al Steinman of the Annis Water Resources Institute talks about the Ottawa County Water Quality Summit and other topics.
- Diane Rayor of Classics talks about her translations of Homeric Hymns and Antigone.
- Al Steinman on Inside Muskegon on the international Upper Great Lakes Study.
Paul Wittenbraker of Art & Design spoke about the Civic studio and the current project on Wealthy Streeton Catalyst Radio, a 30-minute weekly program on 88.1 FM. You can listen to the March 21, 2008 interview on http://www.grcmc.org/radio/catalyst.php
NPR has also been carrying content from the college: listen to the interview with Bill Ryan's New Music Ensemble which shot to #15 on Amazon after this February 3, 2008 radio program. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18581891
Page last modified October 22, 2012