Graduate School Resources
Career Exploration Resources:
Presenting and Participating in Research:
- Student Scholars Day: http://www.gvsu.edu/ssd/index.cfm?id=09F4E37F-BB39-3370-2F2769231071899C
- Summer Scholars:
The Student Summer Scholars Program (S3) provides funds for a student and faculty mentor to devote twelve weeks to a research and/or creative project during the spring/summer semester. Generally, S3 Grants provide a student stipend, faculty stipend, and a small budget for supplies. Grants do not exceed $6,000.Combining academics, field work, and a reflection component provides students with a meaningful learning experience that helps to prepare them for graduate school and future careers. http://www.gvsu.edu/s3/index.cfm?id=DE343690-041E-1D25-78FC9B34039E6117
- McNair Scholars Program:
McNair Scholars is a TRiO program funded through the United States Department of Education and Grand Valley State University. This program is designed to prepare highly talented undergraduates to pursue doctoral degrees and to increase the number of individuals (from target groups) on college and university faculties. The McNair Scholars have parents have no 4-year college degree and are low-income, or are from groups underrepresented at the graduate level for doctoral studies. The program accepts students from all disciplines. The McNair Scholars receive academic counseling, advising, and GRE preparation. In addition, they're matched with a Ph.D. faculty mentor to conduct research and attend a McNair research conference to present their findings. In the first semester of their senior year, the scholars receive assistance with the graduate school application process.
- GVSU Community Service Learning Center - Lists volunteer opportunities maintained by the GVSU Community Service Learning Center. http://www.gvsu.edu/service/
- Volunteer Match - A data-base that allows volunteers to search all over the country for opportunities or organizations that fit their interest areas. www.volunteermatch.com.
- Volunteer Solutions - A United Way volunteer-matching database for the Grand Rapids area. http://national.unitedway.org/volunteer/
- 1-800-Volunteer - A web-based search that allows you to locate opportunities within your zip code, as well as track your hours. www.1-800-volunteer.org
Competitive Fellowships and Scholarships:
- GVSU's Office of Fellowships - Provides nationally competitive scholarship & fellowship advising services to GVSU students (not only Honors students) and alumni who show extraordinary potential in disciplines all across campus.