College of Education
Admission Requirements for the GTC Certification Program
- Completion of the baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution at least one year prior to application with a 3.0 GPA or higher for the final 60 semester credits.
- A 3.0 GPA in the teachable subject major/minor.
- A completed Masters of Education graduate application submitted to the GVSU Admissions Office by January 15.
- A separate GTC application packet is also needed and is available at GTC Information Sessions.
- Evidence of 25 hours of paid or volunteer work with children within the age group you wish to teach (due November 15 unless given permission for extension).
- Passing scores on the Michigan Professional Readiness Examination (PRE) and Subject Major tests.
- Completion of Curricular Integration of Ed. Technology, EDT 619 - for elementary candidates only.
- Negative TB test (due November 15).
- Resume (due November 15).
- A personal essay (due November 15).
- A personal interview with the program advisor.
- Signed statement regarding criminal activity.
- Elementary candidates must complete PED 265 Teaching Health in Elementary Schools and PED 266 Move-Learn! PE and Dance for Elementary Education.
Note: Students seeking a major in World Languages must pass the Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) prior to their student teaching semester.
Page last modified April 9, 2014