College of Education - Graduate
The cognitive impairment program prepares teachers to work effectively with students in a variety of educational settings. In this comprehensive program candidates learn research-based practices: for developing academic, adaptive behavior, communication, and social skills; for including students in the general education curriculum; for implementing a variety of assessment procedures; for implementing assistive technologies; for collaborating with families and other educational staff; and for transitioning individuals with a CI from school to life. Candidates have multiple opportunities to apply this knowledge by working directly with students in the school setting.
The M.Ed. degree in Special Education emphasis in Cognitive Impairment requires 33 credit hours.
Research Foundations Coursework
- EDF 660 Educational Inquiry and Evaluation
Social Foundations Coursework (Take one)
- EDF 671 Educational Policy and Practice
- EDF 672 Social/Culture Foundations of Education
Special Education Coursework - Required for CI candidates who DO NOT hold a special education endorsement.
- EDS 652 Foundations of Special Education (Take first)
Elective Coursework - Required for CI candidates who DO hold a special education endorsement.
- Elective (Take anytime with advisor approval)
Cognitive Impairment Coursework
- EDS 618 Studies in Cognitive Impairment
- EDS 619 Programs for Mild Cognitive Impairments
- EDS 620 Programs for Severe Cognitive Impairment
- EDS 621 Assistive Technology in Education
- EDS 622 Assessment Procedures for Placement and Program
- EDS 623 Collaboration in Special Education
- EDS 629 Transition Practices
Capstone Coursework - Prerequisites are the completion of 27 credit hours including EDF 660. (Application Required*) (Take one)
- ED 693 Master's Project
- ED 695 Master's Thesis
*Application deadlines (Practicum/Thesis/Project): February 15 for spring/summer, May 15 for fall, September 15 for winter semester. Application form required. Apply in advance. Advisor approval required.
Students seeking the CI endorsement only. Click here for requirements
- ED 693 - Master's Project
- ED 695 - Master's Thesis
- EDF 660 - Educational Inquiry and Evaluation
- EDF 671 - Educational Policy and Practice
- EDF 672 - Social/Cultural Foundations of Education
- EDS 618 - Studies in Cognitive Impairment
- EDS 619 - Programs for Mild Cognitive Impairment
- EDS 620 - Programs for Severe Cognitive Impairment
- EDS 621 - Assistive Technology in Education
- EDS 622 - Assessment Procedures for Placement and Programming: CI
- EDS 623 - Collaboration in Special Education
- EDS 629 - Transition Practices
- EDS 652 - Foundations of Special Education