What can I do with my major?
Help! I Need a Major!
Choosing a major can be overwhelming when you are unsure of your personal skills or career interests. If you are having trouble choosing a major, here are some options to help you in your decision making process:
- Schedule an appointment with a career counselor to discuss major options and take career assessments.
- Attend the Majors Fair, or other campus programs focused on choosing a major.
- Conduct informational interviews with professionals in careers you are interested in to determine what areas of study would be applicable to those fields.
To schedule an appointment with a consultation with a career counselor, call the Counseling and Career Development Center at 616-331-3266.
Now that I have a major, what can I do with it?
Students often struggle to connect a major to their potential careers. Here are some suggestions to exploring career pathways related to your major.
- Use online resources such as O*NET to research career opportunities
- Schedule an appointment with an academic advisor to discuss your career pathway and take career assessments.
- Talk with faculty about their interests, research, and professional experiences to gain knowledge about your fields of interest.
- Go to the Career Services website to explore networking