School of Engineering
Field of Study: Mechanical & Interdisciplinary
Office: 343 Kennedy Hall of Engineering
Nael Barakat, Ph.D. P.Eng. FASME
Professor of Engineering
ASME District B Leader
ASME Technology and Society Division Chair
ASEE Ethics Division Secretary/Treasurer
Dr. Barakat joined GVSU Engineering in 2005 after three years of university teaching and four years of industrial experience and consulting, including companies like: "Brown and Sharpe" and "Agere Systems." Dr. Barakat holds a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from McMaster University, Ontario, Canada. He is also a registered professional engineer in Ontario, Canada. His areas of interest include Mechatronics, Controls, Robotics, Automation, Systems Integration, Metrology, as well as Engineering Ethics, professionalism, and Education. Dr. Barakat supervises the Robotics lab and co-supervises the clean room. He is a fellow of the American Society of Mechanical engineers (ASME) and currently the ASME District B Leader, ASME Technolog and Society Division Chair, and ASEE Ethics Division Secretary/Treasurer. He also is a delegate with the group representing US engineers in the World Federation for Engineering Organizations (WFEO).
1. Nanotechnology page: http://gvsu.edu/engineering/nanotechnology-at-grand-valley-state-university-232.htm.
2. Personal web page: http://sites.google.com/site/drnbarakatsite/
- Jiao, L. and N. Barakat, “Ion-Sensitive Field Effect Transistor as a PH Sensor.” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. Volume 13, Number 2, February 2013 , pp. 1194-1198(5), http://dx.doi.org/10.1166/jnn.2013.6065
- Jiao H. and N. Barakat, “Balanced Depth and Breadth in a New Interdisciplinary Nanotechnology Course,” Journal of Educational Technology Systems, Vol 40(1), 75 - 87, Baywood Publishing Company, Inc. 2011 – 2012, doi.10.2190/ET.40.1.g, http://baywood.com.
- Nael Barakat, “Engineering Ethics: A Critical Dimension of the Profession,” International Journal of Engineering Pedagogy (iJEP), Vol. 1, issue 2, July, 2011, www.i-JEP.org, www.online-journals.org, DOI:10.3991/ijep.v1i2.1639, invited paper.
- Nael Barakat “Balanced integration of theory and applications in teaching Robotics,” The International Journal of Learning, Common Ground Publisher (CGP), Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 245-258, http://www.Learning-Journal.com, ISSN 1447-9494, 2011.
- Barakat N. and H. Jiao, “Proposed Strategies for Teaching ethics of Nanotechnology,“ Nanoethics Journal, Springer, Netherlands, Sep. 2010. DOI 10.1007/s11569-010-0100-0.
- Barakat N. and H. Jiao, “Effective NEMS Education and training in an Undergraduate Course,” ASME – IMECE, Nov. 2012, Houston, TX.
- Plouff C. and N. Barakat, “Infusion of ABET–specified Professional and Academic Content into Off-campus Work Experiences via Distance Learning Modules,” Frontiers in Education, Seattle, WA. Sep. 2012.
- A. Plotkowski, H. Jiao, and N. Barakat, “Design and Computational Analysis of Diaphragm Based Piezoresistive Pressure Sensors for Integration into Undergraduate Curriculum,“ ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, June 9 – 13, San Antonio, TX. 2012.
- Filush A. and N. Barakat, “Levels of Ethics Education in University Graduate Programs,” ASME – IMECE, Nov. 2011, Denver, CO.
- Barakat N. and H. Jiao, “Nanotechnology Integration to Enhance Undergraduate Engineering Education,” 1st World Engineering Education Flash Week (WEE2011), September 27-30, 2011, Lisbon, Portugal.
Recent Awards and Honors:
- ASME Dedicated Service Award (2011).
- ASME student section advisor award twice (2007 & 2011)
- GVSU Distinguished Early-Career Award (2010)
Best Student Paper Award - advisor and co-author, ASEE-NCS (2009)
Recent Professional and Service Activities:
- Delivered invited training workshop: “Strategic and Operational Planning and Execution,” Middle East and Africa District-J of ASME, Abu Dhabi – UAE, Dec, 2013.
- Delivered invited seminar presentation: “Nanotechnology meets the world,” for the Singapore - ASME senior section, Sep. 11, 2013.
- Delegate with the group representing USA engineers to the World Federation of Engineering Organizations (WFEO) focusing on the Committee for Anti-Corruption, Singapore, Sep, 2013 and Slovenia, Sep, 2012.
- Delivered invited training workshop: “Strategic Planning” and “Events Programming,” Europe District-H of ASME, Istanbul, Turkey, May, 2013.
- Organized and led the ASME-District B Combined Conferences (SPDC/SLS/SLC) in Toronto, ON - Mar. 2013, Toledo, OH - Mar. 2012, and Grand Rapids, MI - Mar. 2011.
- Topic organizer, reviewer, and sessions’ chair, “Ethics and Emerging Technology Educational Tracks,” ASME-IMECE, 2008 – 2013.
- Member of the Forest Hills Public Schools (FHPS) science advisory committee, Grand Rapids, MI. 2012-Present.
Recent Grant Activities:
- Barakat, Nael (Co-PI with 5 other colleagues), "Mentoring, Academic Support and Scholarships for Science Students (MAS4)," Sponsored by National Science Foundation (NSF), Federal, $600,000.00. (July 1, 2011 - June 30, 2016).
- Barakat, Nael (Co-PI), Jiao, Lihong (PI), "Nanotechnology Integration into Undergraduate Engineering and Science Education," Sponsored by National Science Foundation, Federal, $200,000.00. (January 2010 - December 2012).