GVSU Family Health Center
Medical Home vs. Emergency Room
Which should you choose?
You can call your child's medical home 24 hours a day/seven days a week. Call for help, advice, or an appointment.
Call about common illnesses, like:
- Sore throat, coughs
Call for problems that may need care now, like:
- Severe stomach ache
- Cuts that might need stitches
- Vomiting that won't stop
- Infections/severe rashes
And as always, call for
- Well child checkups and shots
- Help with long term illnesses
Go to the emergency room when a child could die or risk their health if they do not receive help NOW!
- When bleeding won't stop
- When breathing is very hard
- After a serious accident
- With a seizure that lasts longer than 15 minutes
- After calling POISON CONTROL at 1-800-222-1222
Page last modified September 22, 2010