Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity
Nickname: Sig Eps
Colors: Purple and Red
Symbols: Golden Heart
Open Motto: Virtue, Diligence, and Brotherly Love
Nickname: Sig Eps
As a national fraternity, Sigma Phi Epsilon has many things to offer. Founded on November 1st, 1901, in Richmond Virginia, Sigma Phi Epsilon has ascended to the top of the national Fraternity ladder; they are the largest fraternity in the nation with over 15,000 undergraduate members and over 280,000 alumni members. Even with their large numbers, they are still capable of maintaining their position as the Fraternity with the highest retention rate of undergrad members, with nearly 90% returning each year. On top of these amazing things, Sigma Phi Epsilon is also a Fraternity of Firsts:
- First national fraternity to establish a housing trust for all chapters and create a National Housing Corporation.
- First national fraternity to establish a traveling staff to assist chapters in effective operations.
- First fraternity to charter a chapter in all 50 states.
- First national fraternity Educational Foundation to build an endowment greater than $11 million.
- First national fraternity to receive a grant from the federal Department of Education to enhance member development programs.
- First national fraternity to provide financial assistance to brothers for graduate school through the Resident Scholar program.
- First national fraternity to allow non-white, non-Christian and homosexual males to join.
Sigma Phi Epsilon has continually held the top position of Fraternities in the Nation. Although the National Fraternity holds many amazing feats, the Michigan Kappa Chapter also has many accomplishments:
Founded on April 23rd, 1983, the Grand Valley Chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon currently has 59 members from around the state, with a variety of majors. Every year, they host the Rock Against Rape concert, free for all students; it brings sexual abuse awareness to the campus and surrounding area. They also buy a semi-truck of food from money raised around campus for the families in need in Grand Rapids. Hoops-4-Youth is a major philanthropic event, and raises money for YouthAIDS. The Michigan Kappa Chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon is also sponsored by Monster Energy Drink, with which the chapter won awards for with the most money raised on campus. SigEps also won Chapter of Excellence for the year 2007, showing that they hold all of their own ideals to the highest standards, to Grand Valley's ideals, and overall excellence. It has been 15 years since ANY chapter on Grand Valley's campus has won Chapter of Excellence.
Every year Sigma Phi Epsilon sponsors the Balanced Man Scholarship. The purpose of this scholarship is to support fellow students living their values. The scholarship is typically awarded during the first weeks of the fall semester. Request an application today!
Sigma Phi Epsilon as a national Fraternity and locally at Grand Valley continues to follow our motto "Building Balanced Leaders for the World's Communities" along with our three Cardinal Principles, "Virtue, Diligence, and Brotherly Love." They will continue to hold themselves to the highest standards and continue on following the ideals of their founding brothers.
For more information, visit this chapter's website.
-Back to IFC Homepage-
Page last modified March 12, 2014