President Thomas J. Haas read and talked about the importance of education to a class of second graders at Harrison Park Elementary School in Grand Rapids on October 18. His visit was part of the Challenge Scholars Adopt-a-Month program.
Throughout the month of October, Grand Valley is sponsoring campus visits and events that focus on exciting students about the opportunity to attend college.
• Parent tours of Grand Valley’s Allendale Campus;
• Grand Valley students teaching eighth graders about study habits;
• A community service day that will include Grand Valley students and Harrison Park students;
• A meet and greet with Louie the Laker;
• A visit to the School of Engineering;
• Classroom visits from Margaret Willey, a Grand Valley alumna and author of several children’s books.
Grand Valley is part of the Grand Rapids Community Foundation’s Challenge Scholars, a program created by the Grand Rapids Community Foundation to prepare, support and provide scholarships for students to attend college.
Last year, Haas invited students to tour campus and Grand Valley designed an interactive and colorful display for second and third graders at the elementary school.