Grand Valley Police Department
The Parking 411 - Allendale
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Monday –Thursday: 7am to 6:30pm
- Friday: 7am-5pm
- Weekends: Only specially marked spaces and overnight parking in non-residential lots are enforced
- Non-residential lots are enforced overnight every night between 3am and 7am
- Overnight parking is limited to Residential lots only. Vehicles are NOT allowed to park overnight in Commuter or Faculty/Staff lots. A RESIDENTIAL permit is required.
- If your vehicle breaks down and cannot be moved overnight, the Police Department must be notified.
Drive-Up Privileges for specific Residence Halls (Loading and Unloading)
Available for 15 minutes by calling Public Safety at 616-331-3255
- For Stafford, Swanson, Kirkpatrick, Seidman, and Laker Village ONLY
- Any other residents may use the meters located near housing units
- Available for 15 minutes by calling Public Safety at 616-331-3255
Meters - Costs:
- Housing Meters - 25 cents for each 15 minutes, 30 minute limit
- Academic - 30 cents for each 12 minutes or $1.50 per hour, 4 hour limit
- Failed or Out of Order meters are a “No-Park” zone, unless paying with ParkMobile.
- Visitors must have a permit. Guests must stop in to Public Safety with photo ID and their license plate number to receive a temporary permit at no cost. Students may not pick up the permit for their guest.
- Visitors are limited to 20 overnight parking passes between Sunday and Thursday nights per school year.
- Visitors with citation balances cannot be issued permits until the outstanding balance has been paid.
Carpool, Alternative Fuel, Hybrid Parking, Reserved and Housing Spaces
- Require a special GVSU permit to park in these areas. Please call 616-331-3255 for details.
- See below for specifics.
- A valid handicapped permit and a GVSU permit are required to park in Handicapped spaces on GVSU’s campus.
- If handicap parking spaces are not available, the handicap permit holder may park at a meter (payment not required) or in a Faculty/Staff or Student lot only. Parking in any other space is prohibited.
- Motorcycles do not require a parking permit. Motorcycles may park on the yellow hash marks at the end of parking rows. Motorcycles are NOT allowed to park in the blue Handicapped hash marks.
Permit Decal Placement
- Place your parking permit decal on the lower left side of your vehicle windshield. You may receive a citation if it is not in the proper location.
- Your parking permit decal is transferrable between vehicles. Be aware that the owner of the permit is responsible for any citations assigned to that permit number, no matter the vehicle.
- Students are allowed 20 days of temporary parking permits per academic year at no cost. To use a temporary permit, bring your Student ID and license plate number to Public Safety.
- Temporary permits are placed on the driver's side dashboard to the left of the steering wheel. Permit dates must be visible from outside the vehicle for the permit to be valid.
In what lots may I park?
On the Allendale Campus: any lot marked with a Yellow "R"
- Lot B-2 (Ravine Apartments)
- Lot D (D3-D9, NOT Lot D1 or D2)
- Lot K-West (East of Laker Dr. and North of Calder Dr.)
- Lot J (Behind Laker Village in Residential section only)
- Lot P (Across from Murray and Van Steeland)
- GVA (at the Grand Valley Apartments)
- Lot R (South of The South D and E Housing)
On the Pew Campus: any lot marked with a Red "S"
- Seward Flat Lot (North of Fulton St.)
- Seward Ramp (South of Lake Michigan Dr.)
- Mt. Vernon Lot (South of Fulton St.)
- Watson Lot (Non-resident area only, South of Winter Hall)
Where am I not allowed to park?
- Meters (still require payment)
- Lot O (Calder Residential Lot Only)
- Faculty and Staff Lots
- Student Commuter Lots
- Any Specially Signed Spaces
What do I need to do to park in the Hybrid/Alternative Fuel spaces in the Residential lots?
- Call Housing & Residence Life to verify your vehicle’s status (616-331-2120).
- Specific information will be requested (make, model, color and license of the vehicle). This information will be added to a list.
- The Associate Director will send this list to the Department of Public Safety.
- Once the Department of Public Safety receives the list, they will provide the student with an additional corresponding decal, which identifies the ability to park in the Hybird & Electric parking spaces.
- All other rules for parking on campus apply to the Hybird and Electric parking spaces. Because it is a residential parking lot, commuters may not park in those spaces.
- Hybrid or Electric Car spaces in Residential lots are reserved for residents only. These specialty spaces require special permits. Guest may not park in these spaces regardless of day or time.
IMPORTANT! Unauthorized or improper use of this permit may result in disciplinary action or a referral to the University Judicial process. Fraudulent use of this permit will result in its confiscation, and may result in criminal penalties. Fraudulently obtaining goods or services is a crime punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of not more than $2,000.
Page last modified December 9, 2014