Termination or Commencement of Employment of Spouse or Household Member

If your spouse/household member lose their employment you are eligible to enroll yourself, your spouse, household member or any dependents that you have under Grand Valley State University's Benefit Plan.

To enroll you will need to:

  • Notify the Benefit Office within 30 days of the event.
  • Get a letter from your spouse's/household members employer verifying the last date of coverage or a certificate of credible coverage indicating the last date of coverage.
  • Enroll spouse/dependents into GVSU Benefit Plans

You may also want to:

  • Increase or Add Flex Spending Account

If your spouse/household member was employed within the last 30 days and is now eligible for benefits, you are eligible to cancel your benefits with Grand Valley State University

You would need to:

  • Send an email to healthandwellness@gvsu.edu indicating why you want to terminate your coverage, who the termination applies to:
    • Spouse
    • You
    • Dependents
  • What benefits you want terminated:
    • Medical
    • Dental
    • Vision
  • Request a letter of verification from your spouse's/household member's employer specifying the date that your new benefits will begin and all members enrolled in the plan.
    • The letter should be received in our office, within 30 days of the coverage begin date

You may also want to:

  • Decrease Flex Spending account (Change must be consistent with the event)