Job Summary: (Short summary of job duties - 1 to 2 sentences)
Assist in oversight of bookstore departments and off-site sales including merchandise order fulfillment for continuing education regional locations. Provide quality customer service and assist with ordering merchandise and maintaining inventory records.
Primary Duties & Global Responsibilities:
(Must be able to perform these duties; usually consist of more than 5% of your job.)
Assist customers in locating merchandise on the sales floor.
· Respond to customer requests and resolve concerns.
· Place routine orders with vendors in person, through telephone contacts, or electronically: identify source, complete purchase orders, monitor receiving processes, follow up on any problems, stock inventory, and contact customers as required.
· Enter and edit all information into computerized inventory program.
· Maintain stock levels in respective departments/locations: complete physical inventory and place reorders.
· Make textbook purchasing and buyback decisions, using sales history data and enrollment information.
· Assist with all facets of providing merchandise to continuing education students; request data from departments and regional centers; communicate with continuing education staff as necessary; schedule temporary employees; take routine orders; coordinate packing and delivery of merchandise when applicable.
· Evaluate merchandise salability: do markdowns after consultation with supervisor and order new stock as needed.
· Process routine paperwork: review invoices and credits and approve for payment.
· Prepare return forms, markdown sheets and departmental transfers as needed.
· Other related duties as assigned.
Secondary Duties & Responsibilities:
(Related duties in addition to primary duties and responsibilities, usually less than 5%).
· Coordinate marketing efforts and ensure appropriate staffing for author appearances and special events.
· Schedule and supervise temporary employees.
· Order office supplies for departments, including any forms produced at Copy Center.
· Assist with buyback: clean, sort, price and stock buyback inventory.
· Assist on the bookstore sales floor or cash register as needed, and perform other duties as assigned.
· Responsible for receiving and pricing course packs from Copy Center and processing any paperwork.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
· High school graduate.
· Minimum of two years related work experience and/or relevant training.
· Demonstrated experience to successfully work under pressure and meet deadlines.
· Demonstrated experience to successfully work independently, organize own work and coordinate work activities of others.
· Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain positive interpersonal relationships.
· Demonstrated experience to successfully operate office equipment.
· Demonstrated experience to successfully provide quality customer service.
· Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain satisfactory work performance and attendance records.
· Possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
· Experience with various computer software applications.
· Ability to perform mathematical calculations with speed and accuracy.
· Willingness to work flexible schedule with some evening and weekend hours.
Desired Qualifications: (Preferred in addition to required qualifications.)
· Some college course work.
· Experience in higher education.
· Experience in a college bookstore or other retail environment.
· Knowledge of numerous software applications and an aptitude for technology.
· Knowledge of book publishers and their policies.
· General knowledge of purchasing policies and procedures.
Supervised by a designated supervisor (Director of Facilities Planning), but is expected to work independently and apply appropriate policies and procedures within the assigned area of responsibility.
Hire, train, supervise, schedule and coordinate the work of student employees and may act as lead worker to other COT staff members within the department/unit/division. May participate in personnel decisions such as hiring, terminating, disciplining and evaluating of COT’s, but is not the decision maker.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.