Title: Secretary-Grand Forum (Educational Outreach Program for Older Adults)
Department: Continuing Education Dean's Office
Provides clerical support for a department/office.
Primary Duties & Global Responsibilities:
- Generates a variety of materials such as reports, memorandums, & correspondence.
- Proofread and correct materials; edits grammatical errors.
- Performs receptionist duties such as receiving visitors, answering the telephone, taking messages.
- Receives, opens, routes mail and may compose responses to standard inquiries.
- Maintains filing and/or database and record keeping systems on paper and/or computer.
- Prepares reports which may require compiling and computing statistical data.
- Disseminates information which may require explanation and interpretation of the university/departments/divisions' policies and procedures including limited student advising.
- Acts as a liaison between department supervisor and department staff and/or campus community.
- Prepares IDC, travel vouchers, deposit requisitions and other forms for the department.
- Prepare Grand Forum Newsletters, invitations & programming materials.
- Maintains records by performing duties such as monitoring, tracking expenditures, and preparing statements for distribution regarding the status of records, lists, or accounts.
- Answer or refer inquiries from students, faculty, staff, and the general public regarding established policies and procedures; answer routine inquiries; and schedule appointments and meetings, facilities and events.
- Establish and maintain filing and recordkeeping systems.
- Inventory supplies and/or merchandise.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Makes and confirms travel arrangements.
- Takes, transcribes and distributes Board meeting minutes.
- Reviews budget reports and reconciles the reports with the department/office's records.
- Coordinates special events.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- High school graduate.
- Minimum of two years experience in higher education.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to maintain positive interpersonal relationships.
- Ability to operate office equipment.
- Ability to provide outstanding customer service.
- Ability to maintain satisfactory work performance and attendance records.
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Type 45 wpm accurately; spelling competency (minimum 80% accuracy).
- Experience with various computer software applications including spreadsheets & Publisher.
- Must have flexible work schedule with some evenings required.
- Some college course work.
- Experience in higher education.
- Experience in Event Planning.
Receives supervision and work assignments from the Director of Grand Forum and assists the Continuing Education Department.
May be responsible for the coordination of work assignments for student employees.
Revised Date: July 2009
For questions regarding employment, email Human Resources Employment Information. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.