Title: Payroll Coordinator
Department: Business & Finance Office
As part of the payroll team, under the direct supervision of the Payroll Manager, the Payroll Coordinator aids in the processing and reviewing of the bi-weekly and semi-monthly payrolls. This position is responsible for the supervision, training and scheduling of student employees. This person must perform work of a specialized and confidential nature. This person must interpret and understand both University policy and federal tax regulations and State labor law guidelines in order to process payrolls in compliance of the law.
· Handle adjustments and time entry review for several different types of employee classifications.
· Print and distribute payroll checks-includes reissue of lost/old paychecks.
· Transmit direct deposit and positive files.
· Provide outstanding customer service.
· Supervise student employees.
· Process payroll tax and direct deposit forms.
· Interpret federal and state tax laws in order to answer questions and aid in the processing of W2 forms.
· Use software for processing payroll. For examples: Banner, Ultratime and Microsoft Office Suite.
· Calculate a paycheck manually from gross to net.
· Knowledge of labor contracts.
· Provides backup for other payroll team members during vacations.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
· High school graduate.
· Minimum of three years of related experience processing payroll.
· Demonstrated experience to successfully work under pressure and meet deadlines.
· Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain positive interpersonal relationships.
· Demonstrated experience to successfully use Microsoft Office software including excel and word.
· Demonstrated experience to successfully provide quality customer service.
· Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain satisfactory work performance and attendance records.
· Possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
· Demonstrated experience to successfully work independently, organize own work and coordinate work activities of others.
· Excellent grammar and proofreading skills.
· Some college course work.
· Higher education experience.
Supervision Received: (Who provides supervision?)
Receives general instruction from a designated supervisor, Payroll Manager, but is generally expected o work independently.
Supervision Exercised: (Whom do you supervise?)
Hire, train, supervise, schedule and coordinate the work of student employees and may act as lead worker to other COT staff members within the department/unit/division.
Revised Date: April 2011 For questions regarding employment, email Human Resources Employment Information. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.