Title: Bookstore Financial Assistant
Responsible for maintaining financial records for bookstore operations.
Primary Duties & Global Responsibilities:
- Reconcile receipts with cash, checks and charges and prepare daily cash reports.
- Monitor change fund, including cash drawers and safe, and perform daily audit.
- Prepare vouchers for vendor invoices and credit memos; batch and verify payables for accounting office.
- Maintain journals and records on electronic spreadsheets including purchase journals, cash reports, and deposit summaries.
- Maintain records to prepare and support monthly closing reports, including: cost of goods sold, retail inventory, journal entries for month end, etc.
- Reconcile budget printouts with internal records.
- Investigate discrepancies and make appropriate adjustments.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial statements.
- Assist in tracking budget expenditures and alert manager to concerns.
- Monitor accounts receivable, including customer invoices and vendor credits.
- Collect on past due accounts and request refunds as necessary.
- Communicate with vendors regarding financial transactions and reconcile differences.
- Supervise student employees.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Secondary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Prepare reports associated with fiscal year-end inventory.
- Prepare closing journal entries in consultation with manager.
- Act as liaison with auditors in providing information.
- Perform duties associated with bookstore opening and closing, and oversee entire bookstore operation on selected evenings and weekends as required by a rotating schedule.
- Assist on the bookstore sales floor or cash register as needed.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- High school graduate.
- Minimum of four years of full range retail accounting experience.
- Related college course work may be considered in lieu of some of the experience requirement.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain positive interpersonal relationships.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully operate office equipment.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully provide quality customer service.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain satisfactory work performance and attendance records.
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work independently, organize own work and coordinate work activities of others.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully handle multiple demands efficiently.
- Demonstrated experience in a supervisory capacity.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully use various computer software applications.
- Thorough knowledge of spreadsheet applications is essential.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully perform mathematical calculations with speed and accuracy.
- Willingness to work flexible schedule with some evening and weekend hours.
- Bachelors degree in accounting.
- Experience in a college bookstore and familiarity with retail, fund and accrual accounting methods.
Supervised by a designated supervisor, but is expected to work independently and apply appropriate policies and procedures within the assigned area of responsibility.
Hire, train, supervise, schedule and coordinate the work of student employees and may act as lead worker to other COT staff members within the department/unit/division. May participate in personnel decisions such as hiring, terminating, disciplining and evaluating of COT's, but is not the decision maker.
Revised Date: September 1997
For questions regarding employment, email Human Resources Employment Information. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.