Title: Payroll Systems Assistant
Provides accurate and timely data input necessary to produce a check for each regular employee of the University.
Primary Duties & Global Responsibilities:
- Assist the Payroll Manager in carrying out the office operation responsibilities.
- Backup/assist the Payroll Manager in setting up the HRS system calendar.
- Responsible for compiling, creating, and maintaining the procedures to various payroll policies and functions.
- Back/assist Payroll Manager in setting payroll parameters for special payroll runs and void check process.
- Backup/assist the Payroll Manager in processing and sending taxes and direct deposits.
- Act as liaison between the Payroll Office and departments on campus in troubleshooting questions, responding to concerns, and solving problems.
- Update the check history on the HRS system.
- Interpret union contracts and university policies to correctly process payroll for the various union employee groups.
- Calculate adjustments to previous payrolls and make corrections in a timely manner.
- Calculate the process advances when needed.
- Monitor and review timecards for processing.
- Check all deductions, adjustments, and error reports on the trial to be sure that payroll will run correctly.
- Check payroll trial and balance payroll.
- Assist staff with completion of direct deposit forms, tax forms, timecard questions and other miscellaneous items.
- Process tax forms, various deductions and direct deposits.
- Calculate checks on request based on information given by employee or Human Resources regarding how retirement, other deductions, tax withholding changes will impact the net outcome of a paycheck.
- Translate various mainframe screens and codes to trouble shoot check distribution issues.
- Interpret federal and state tax laws to answer questions and aid in the processing of W-2s.
- Calculate and process wage verifications.
- Process and maintain records for child support bankruptcy orders, garnishments, tax levies and other court orders.
- Set up and maintain the WebChek system on the Internet for all Michigan child support orders.
- Responsible for the Savings Bond Program offered to employees via payroll deduction.
- Work directly with Human Resources on workers compensation, sick leave and short-term disability issues and payments.
- Responsible for checking Positive Pay.
- Contact person for GVSU on Michigan New Hires Website.
- Run various reports as needed.
Secondary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Open mail.
- Assist in completion of tax forms.
- Backup for student and call-in payroll processing, tax deposits, and laser printing payroll checks.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- High school graduate.
- Minimum of four years related work experience preferably in Payroll. Related college course work may be considered in lieu of some of the experience requirement.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain positive interpersonal relationships.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully operate office equipment.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully provide quality customer service.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain satisfactory work performance and attendance records.
- Demonstrate experience to successfully handle multiple demands efficiently.
- Demonstrated experience in a supervisory capacity.
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully use various computer software applications.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work independently, organize own work and coordinate work activities of others.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully perform mathematical calculations with speed and accuracy.
- Bachelor`s degree.
- Higher education work experience.
- Supervisory experience.
- Experience with mainframe applications.
Supervised by a designated supervisor, but is expected to work independently and apply appropriate policies and procedures within the assigned area of responsibility.
Hire, train, supervise, schedule and coordinate the work of student employees and may act as lead worker to other COT staff members within the department/unit/division. May participate in personnel decisions such as hiring, terminating, disciplining and evaluating of COTs, but is not the decision maker.
: (Whom do you supervise?): (Who provides supervision?)(Preferred in addition to required qualifications.):(Must be able to perform these duties; usually consist of less than 5% of your job.)(Must be able to perform these duties; usually consist of more than 5% of your job.) (Short summary of job duties - 1 to 2 sentences)
Revised Date: May 2003
For questions regarding employment, email Human Resources Employment Information. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.