Title: News and Information Services Assistant
Department: News & Information Services
Job Summary: (Short summary of job duties - 1 to 2 sentences)
Provides support for the office of News and Information Services
Primary Duties & Global Responsibilities:
(Must be able to perform these duties; usually consist of more than 5% of your job.)
- Monitoring and reconciling budgets for all accounts.
- Coordinate direct mailings for marketing efforts.
- Handling general clerical tasks.
- Format, proof & distribute all University news releases.
- Oversee the newspaper clipping service.
- Proofreading various publications produced by the office.
- Answer and/or forward questions regarding the university.
- Maintain resource files.
- Coordinate new AP staff searches.
- Supervise student employees.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Secondary Duties & Responsibilities:
(Must be able to perform these duties; usually consist of less than 5% of your job.)
- Maintain marketing database.
- Schedule meetings/monitoring calendars.
- Purchase equipment for office.
- Produce monthly calendar of events distributed to media.
- Format & distribute Dean`s List & Graduation List.
- Distribute mail.
- Make travel arrangements.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- High school graduate.
- Minimum of four years related office experience. Related college course work may be considered in lieu of some of the experience requirement.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain positive interpersonal relationships.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully operate office equipment.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully provide quality customer service.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain satisfactory work performance and attendance records.
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work independently, organize own work and coordinate work activities of others.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully handle multiple demands efficiently.
- Demonstrated experience in a supervisory capacity.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully use various computer software applications.
- Type 55 wpm accurately; spelling competency (minimum 80% accuracy).
- Ability to understand, maintain, and predict spending of office accounts.
- Familiarity with publication processes, news media, and computer technology.
Desired Qualifications: (Preferred in addition to required qualifications.)
- Bachelor`s degree.
- Higher education work experience.
Supervision Received: (Who provides supervision?)
Supervised by a designated supervisor, but is expected to work independently and apply appropriate policies and procedures within the assigned area of responsibility.
Supervision Exercised: (Whom do you supervise?)
Hire, train, supervise, schedule and coordinate the work of student employees and may act as lead worker to other COT staff members within the department/unit/division. May participate in personnel decisions such as hiring, terminating, disciplining and evaluating of COT`s, but is not the decision maker.
Revised Date: March 2002
For questions regarding employment, email Human Resources Employment Information. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.