Title: Library Senior Associate DeVos Curriculum Circulation Materials Library
The primary customer service contact at the DeVos Curriculum Materials Library (CML), delivering an array of library services, securing the CML and its resources, ensuring an environment conductive to learning; supervises the daily operations of the DeVos CML.
Primary Duties (Scope of Work)
- Primary customer service contact for the CML, referring patrons to people and resources throughout the library system and generally assisting patrons in using CML resources.
- Handles circulation transactions with students, faculty, staff, administrators and members of the public.
- Interprets and enforces wide-range of library procedures and policies; communicates those policies with clarity and tact.
- Handles student, faculty and staff library accounts, reconciles cash drawer, and exercises discretion in reconciliation of patron account discrepancies.
- Helps ensure the safest possible library environment and the security of library resources and equipment.
- Provides training and one-on-one instruction for patrons in locating and using materials; provides informational tours.
- Hires, trains, and schedules student employees at the CML and supervises their work; accountable for student projections and budget for the CML student employee budget.
- Coaches student employees in communicating with clarity and tact and models appropriate behavior.
- Manages CML reservation system in cooperation with the Library Specialist, Curriculum Materials Libraries.
- Assists in collection maintenance; works with Educations Librarian and Library Specialist, Curriculum Materials Libraries to develop collection.
- Operates a production center for teachers, which includes monitoring and maintaining equipment unique to the CML, including laminators, binding machines, and poster printers; trains and assists patrons on use of equipment.
- Monitors inventory of CML materials and supplies.
- Assists the Education Librarian in maintaining of CML website and the CML Library Guide.
- Consults with Library Specialist, Curriculum Materials Libraries and the Education Librarian to maintain consistency of services between CML locations.
- Assists the Library Specialist, Curriculum Materials Libraries with post-processing of DeVos CML materials.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Ability to maintain positive interpersonal relationships with diverse populations.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to prioritize multiple demands in a fast-paced work environment while delivering exemplary customer service.
- Ability to use discretion and judgment in interpreting policies and applying procedures.
- Ability to communicate clearly and tactfully.
- Ability to solve problems quickly and independently, occasionally with limited backup resources.
- Demonstrated competence with computer applications.
- Minimum of 3 years related work experience and/or relevant training.
- High school graduate.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Bachelors degree preferred.
- Background in K-12 curriculum.
- Familiarity and experience with an integrated library system.
Supervised by the designated manager, but is expected to work independently and apply appropriate policies and procedures within the assigned area of responsibility. At times may have little or no supervision, and may have to make crucial decisions regarding patron safety and the libraries integrity.
Coordinates the work of student employees within the DeVos CML. May have limited supervision of departmental projects.
Revised Date: March 2009
For questions regarding employment, email Human Resources Employment Information. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.