Title: Secretary - Continuing Ed. - Holland
Department: Continuing Ed. - Holland
Provides clerical support for the office of Continuing Education/Holland Office.
Primary Duties & Global Responsibilities: (Must be able to perform these duties; usually consist of more than 5% of your job.)
- Generates a variety of materials such as reports, memorandums, evaluations, correspondence, forms using computer system.
- Proofreads and corrects materials, edits grammatical errors.
- Performs receptionist duties such as receiving visitors, answering the telephone, and taking messages.
- Receives, opens, routes mail and may compose responses to general inquiries.
- Has regular contact with students and faculty regarding schedules and questions.
- Assists with student registration, tuition payments and cashiering.
- Disseminates information, which may require explanation and interpretation of the university/departments/divisions' policies and procedures including limited student advising.
- Coordinates and schedules appointments as related to the location.
- Assists students with general Grand Valley State University information.
- Prepares IDC, travel vouchers, deposit requisitions and other forms for the department.
- Assists with library, bookstore, and computer lab services.
- Maintains filing and/or database and record keeping systems on paper and/or computer.
- Acts as a liaison between department supervisor and department staff and/or campus community.
- Maintains records by performing duties such as monitoring, tracking expenditures, and preparing statements for distribution regarding the status of records, lists, or accounts.
- Answer or refer inquiries from students, faculty, staff, and the general public regarding established policies and procedures; answer routine inquiries; and schedule appointments and meetings, facilities and events.
- Establish and maintain filing and recordkeeping systems.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Secondary Duties & Responsibilities: (Must be able to perform these duties; usually consist of less than 5% of your job.)
- Compiles statistical information.
- Orders and maintains supplies for the office.
- Completes projects assigned by Holland Office Manager and/or Director of Regional Centers.
- Some faculty contact.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Willing to work evening and weekend hours.
- High school graduate.
- Minimum of two years related work experience and/or relevant training.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to maintain positive interpersonal relationships.
- Ability to operate office equipment.
- Ability to provide quality customer service.
- Ability to maintain satisfactory work performance and attendance records.
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Type 45 wpm accurately, spelling competency (minimum 80% accuracy).
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work independently and organize own work.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully handle multiple demands efficiently.
- Experience with various computer software applications.
Desired Qualifications: (Preferred in addition to required qualifications.)
- Some college course work.
- Experience in higher education.
Supervision Received: (Who provides supervision?)
Receives supervision and work assignments from a designated supervisor, although other staff members in the unit may provide work direction.
Supervision Exercised:(Whom do you supervise?)
May be responsible for the coordination of work assignments for student employees.
Revised Date: September 1997
For questions regarding employment, email Human Resources Employment Information. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.