Wireless Network for Guests
How to logon to the GV-Guest network
This network is for GVSU guests and Faculty/Staff and Student devices that are not capable of using the other SSID’s.
To logon to the GV-Guest SSID:
1. Click on the GV-Guest network name from your wireless device
2. The Wireless Access page will appear, enter your network username and password if
you are Faculty/Staff/Student or the account your sponsor gave you if you are a guest
and click “Login”
3. The Acceptable Use page will appear, if you agree to the policy, click the check box to
Accept the terms and conditions. Next, click on the “Accept” button.
4. You may be notified about a pop-up, please allow this pop-up by right-clicking the information bar and allowing the site. Next you should see the actual pop-up window.
5. You are now connected to the GV-Guest wireless network.
Check your connection: http://myspeed.gvsu.edu
ISSUE with Vista and IE 7
Vista and IE7 may cause an issue when trying to register with GV-Guest. The page errors out with the Secure Socket key error. The fix is:
Open IE 7 - Tools - Internet Options - Advanced Tab - Scroll Down to Security and Place a check mark in SSL - 2.0
WIRELESS SECURITY ISSUES
Wireless networks do have the added risk that it is technically possible for someone to eavesdrop on the information you send over the network. While it is technically possible to listen in on wireless network traffic, it is technically harder to make any meaningful sense out of it. Eavesdropping on network communication (wireless or wired) is illegal and a violation of Information Technology Policies and Student Code. All violations will result in disciplinary action with the appropriate authority. As with any sensitive data (wireless or wired), take precautionary measures prior to transferring this type of data.
When using wireless technology on campus be sure that all passwords and personal information is only sent to secure web sites. Secure web sites are ones that use SSL encryption, look for the gold lock in the lower right corner of the web browser to confirm if a web site uses SSL
Page last modified July 7, 2015