Windows XP Dial-up
If you currently use other dial-up software, you may need to uninstall it before the GVSU installation will work. In some cases, installing the GVSU software prohibits the old dial-up software to function or vice-versa.
- Valid GVSU computer network account (student/faculty/staff only)
DIAL-UP NETWORKING SETUP
1. Click on Start button and click on Control Panel option. You may get the following window:
2. Click on Switch to Classic View option and you will get the following window:
3. Double-click on Network connections icon and you will get the following window:
4. Click on Create a new Connection option and you will get the following window:
5. Click on Next button and you will get the following window:
6. Select Connect to the Internet option and click on Next button. You will get the following window:
7. Select Set up my connection manually option and click on Next button. You will get the following window:
8. Select Connect using a dial-up modem option and click on Next button. You will get the following window:
9. In the ISP Name field, type "PPP Merit" ( without quotes) and click on Next button. You will get the following window:
10. Enter the telephone number in the window, (616) 588-1245 or (616) 855-1045 for the Grand Rapids connection or select the appropriate area code and number for the location you are calling from. If you need to dial a number to get an outside line before dialing the phone number, remember to put in that number. Click for a complete list of Michigan access numbers.
NOTE: You may be charged for a long distance call if you do not properly set up a local phone number.
11. Click on Next button and you will get the following window:
12. In User name field, enter your firstname.lastname@example.org accordingly with your GVSU account below:
- GVSU Student account: If your e-mail address is email@example.com, then your PPP Merit username would be firstname.lastname@example.org.
- GVSU Faculty/Staff office account: If your office network login username is smithj.container, where ¿container¿ is your department container. For John Smith in the Art & Design Department, his username will be email@example.com.
13. In Password field, enter your Student network password (Students Only) or your network password (Faculty/Staff Only). In Confirm Password field, enter your password again.
14. Click on Next button and you will get the following window:
15. Select add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop option and click on the Finish button. Now you successfully create the PPP Merit icon on the desktop. You will get the following window:
CONNECT TO PPP MERIT
1. You will go back to the following window:
2. Click on Dial button to start the dialing process. You will see the following window:
3. When the Dialing process is done, you will see the dialing status icon on the lower-right corner of your computer's screen. You will get the following information, if you move the mouse pointer over it and wait 2 seconds.
Move the mouse over the two computer screens icon.
4. You are now ready to open Internet Explorer and browse the Web.
DISCONNECT FROM PPP MERIT
1. Right-click on the two computer screens icon located on the lower-right corner of your computer's screen. You will get the following menu list:
2. Click on Disconnect option and the two computer screens icon will disappear. You have successfully disconnected from PPP Merit.
NOTE: It is important NOT to click the Disconnect option until you are ready to disconnect from the PPP Merit.
Page last modified March 30, 2011