Program: The Grantmaking School
Steve Alley is currently a consultant with Ekstrom & Associates, a firm that works with community foundations and other philanthropic organizations. Most recently, Alley was President & CEO of the Community Foundation for Southern Arizona for nine years leading that foundation to grow from $ 53 million to $ 90 million in assets, developing a new community-based grantmaking process and developing the Foundation’s leadership role in Tucson and the surrounding counties. Prior to that he was Director of the Community Foundations Institute of the Center on Philanthropy at Indiana University. Under his leadership new research in community foundation related areas was undertaken and resources for advancing the field were developed.
Steve also served as Vice President for External Relations at the Central Indiana Community Foundation (Indianapolis and vicinity). The Central Indiana Community Foundation, including the Indianapolis Foundation, is one of the oldest and largest community foundations in the nation. Steve’s experience in the field also includes six years at a rural, startup community foundation. He was founding President & CEO of the Community Foundation of Howard County, Indiana.
A 1985 graduate of Ball State University with a degree in communications, Steve began a career in radio as a reporter, anchor, and news director. He then was asked to create and then maintain marketing and public relations services for a central Indiana school district; a position he held for four years.
Steve has played numerous national and regional leadership roles in the community foundation field. Among them:
- Participant in Transatlantic Community Foundation Network,
- Participant in U.S./Mexico Border Philanthropy Partnership,
- Member, Community Foundations Leadership Team (Formerly Committee on Community Foundations, Council on Foundations (1996-2008),
- Chair, 2006 Council on Foundations Annual Community Foundation Conference in Boston,
- Founding Chairman, Indiana Community Foundation Committee of the Indiana Donors Alliance (1995-1998),
- Member, Indiana Community Foundation Committee of the Indiana Grantmakers Alliance (1995-2001),
- Chair, Professional Development Action Team, Council on Foundations, and
- Member, Council on Foundations Annual Community Foundation Conference in Chicago (1997).