|Board Certification Program Coaching and Technical Assistance|
|Education and Training Encore Resources Staff Johnson Center Blog|
Nonprofit Board Certificate Program
The Nonprofit Board Certificate Program offers guidance for those serving or planning to serve on nonprofit boards. Our program defines the roles and responsibilities for board service.
The program consists of four one-hour sessions. The entire program can be offered in one setting, in two two-hour sessions, or in four one-hour sessions.
Session One – The Roles and Responsibilities of Being on a Board
- Prevalence and impact of nonprofit organizations,
- How nonprofit organizations operate, and
Board roles and responsibilities.
Session Two – Legal Responsibilities and Liabilities of the Board
- The nonprofit organization as a legal entity,
- The legal "duties" and responsibilities of board members,
- Legal liabilities of board members, and
Sarbanes-Oxley and nonprofit board service.
Session Three – Nonprofit Fundraising and the Board
- Revenue sources of nonprofit organizations,
- Donor motivations,
- Truths about fundraising, and
Prospecting individual donors.
Session Four – Nonprofit Financial Management and Board Structures
- Evolving issues facing nonprofits and their boards
Nonprofit and for-profit finances: What are the differences?
- Nonprofit income statement,
- Nonprofit audits, and
- IRS Form 990.
Nonprofit Board Committees and Taskforces
- Elected positions, and
If you interested in training for your business or organization, contact Matthew Downey for information on how to set up a customized training for your business or organization at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 616-331-9024.
Page last modified November 13, 2013