Laker Academic Success Center
Assumptions and Outcomes of the Program
ASSUMPTIONS DRIVING THE PROGRAM DESIGN
- Leadership abilities can be consciously developed.
- Anyone, regardless of formal position, can be a leader.
- Leadership is a process that often takes place in a very competitive environment.
- Leadership involves doing a lot of little things well, which can lead to big things!
- Leadership involves serving others and often giving oneself up for the greater group. Unselfishness is a characteristic of a good leader.
- An effective leadership development program must be offered in an environment that encourages and supports diversity.
- The most effective leadership development programs are hands-on and interactive.
- This leadership development program has the intention to produce better leaders for GVSU Intercollegiate Athletics teams and student organizations, and ultimately, their professions and societies.
As a result of the program, participants will enhance their…
- Communication skills
- Decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Critical-thinking skills
- Collaborative skills
- Listening skills
- Understanding and appreciation for diversity
- Ability to think
- Planning and priority setting skills
- Understanding of and appreciation for the value of working with a group
- Courage in their willingness to be a leader
As a result of this program, participants will…
- Build a long lasting network of future leaders.
- Be confident in their ability to lead.
- Be willing to be leaders the rest of their lives.
Through this program, participants will become more effective leaders by…
- Becoming more self-aware and building on their talents.
- Exploring and practicing good leadership habits.
- Building a network with other leaders.
- Developing action plans to be better leaders on their teams and within their organizations.
- Committing to sharing experiences with others.
Page last modified March 14, 2012