Laker Help Link
How can I tell if someone might have alcohol poisoning?
- Person is unconscious or semi-conscious and can't be awakened with vigorous shaking.
- Skin is cold, clammy, pale, or bluish.
- Breathing is slow (less than 8 breaths per minute) or irregular (with 10 or more seconds between breaths).
Person has vomited while passed out and is not waking up.
What do I do if someone does have alcohol poisoning?
- GET HELP! Call an ambulance (911) immediately.
- Turn the victim on his/her side to prevent choking.
What NOT to do if someone has symptoms of alcohol poisoning:
- Do not leave the person alone; continue to monitor their breathing.
- Do not put the person in a cold shower.
- Do not try to get the person up to "walk it off."
- Do not give the person food, beverages or medicine "to sober them up."
Call 911 for all medical emergencies.
For non-emergency situations, you can also contact:
616.331.3255 (Public Safety on GVSU's Allendale Campus)
616.331.6677 (Campus Security on GVSU's Pew Campus)
Page last modified September 14, 2010