Laker Help Link
Dealing with Depression
What are the symptoms of depression?
- Loss of pleasure in virtually all activities
- Feelings of fatigue, lack of energy, and difficulty with concentration or memory
- Frequent tearfulness or hopelessness about the future
- A change in sleep pattern, with either too much sleep or too little
- An increase or decrease in appetite, with a corresponding change in weight
- Markedly diminished interest in sex
- Feelings of worthlessness and self blame and exaggerated feelings of guilt
What are some treatment options for depression:
If you or someone you know is experiencing depression, there are many treatment options available. Often several sessions with a therapist can assist in relieving symptoms of depression. Some moderate and most severe depressions respond to antidepressant medications. A physician or a psychiatrist prescribes these after a thorough evaluation. Taking medication does not preclude counseling. Often counseling, in combination with medication, provides the greatest benefit.
GVSU Counseling & Career Development Center
For more information:
Free Crisis Hotline: 1.800.GRADHLP (1.800.472.3457)
Page last modified September 14, 2010