Information Literacy: A Shared Value with Many Paths
Regardless of their area of expertise, faculty value concepts related to information literacy. The aspects of information literacy faculty choose to emphasize can vary greatly by discipline. The Information Literacy Core Competencies were designed to help faculty from different disciplines talk with one another about these shared values.
Using the Competencies within your Discipline
This document may also be used as a lens through which to view existing assignments and to edit them to better elucidate information literacy skills goals. Individual faculty, departments, and units are also encouraged to modify the competencies to better address the unique requirements of their disciplines.
Faculty may use the document to:
- develop or revise a lesson plan or assignment
- coordinate syllabi across a department
- provide a framework for faculty workshops and training
- write learning outcomes for assessment
- make information literacy more transparent in their courses
- map information literacy skills across a unit’s curricula
Examples within the Disciplines
Through a project funded by the Faculty Teaching and Learning Center, several GVSU faculty have been working with the competencies, adapting them to their own course materials. These sample classroom materials serve as examples for others wishing to apply the competencies to their course materials.
This faculty member focused on making more explicit to students the role information literacy plays in his course.
- Revised Syllabus PDF: Shows how an existing syllabus may be modified to make the information gathering portion of a course more explicit to students. (Original Syllabus PDF)
This faculty member used the competencies to modify his course to include an ethics component.
- Revised Assignment PDF: Demonstrates how an existing assignment can be revised to address a particular information literacy competency. (Original Assignment PDF)
- Course Content Outline PDF: This outline will be used to incorporate ethics competencies throughout the course
This faculty member used the competencies to revise a student handbook on writing.
- Revised Handbook PDF: The section on information literacy shows how the competencies may be used to highlight information literacy in existing student materials
Page last modified August 26, 2014