GVSU Sport Leadership Program
PED 460 (Fieldwork)
Overview: The fieldwork experience will enable a student to work for a minimum of 135 hours over the course of one semester, primarily with an organization related to the sport management and coaching field that would include experience in areas such as coaching, marketing, finance, event management, administration, etc. Students will benefit from both oberservation and hands-on experience while working with qualified professionals in the sport industry.
Register: New Enrollment Demand Process, 2014-2015 Registration
To enroll in PED 460 students must complete the new enrollment demand process to receive prior approval from their advisor and the course instructor. There is a Spotlight on the Movement Science homepage that links to our online enrollment forms: http://www.gvsu.edu/move-sci/
Each time a form is completed, an email will be sent to the INSTRUCTOR listed on Banner. If there is not an instructor listed, the student can complete the form using STAFF and the following email: email@example.com (460 and 490)
The table below provides timelines for 2014-2015 enrollment requests.
|Semester||Requests due from students||Advisor verification by||Student Notification|
|Spring/Summer '14||April 7||April 10||April 15|
|Fall '14||May 1||May 15||June 15|
|Winter '15||November 1||November 15||December 15|
Site Registration: In addition to registering for the course, students must also register their fieldwork location with the Career Center Internship Management System (IMS). Students are encouraged to discuss their fieldwork location options with the faculty coordinator to ensure approval. Students are not to begin working at their fieldwork location until approval has been granted by the faculty coordinator.
To better understand the fieldwork site registration process, please read the brief IMS 2.0 Student Manual
1. Gain practical experience in a specific area in the sport industry under professional supervision and guidance
2. Apply theories and principles from their formal education to specific situations within the sport industry
3. Use interpersonal and professional communication skills
4. Learn to work with other individuals trained in the sport industry
5. Demonstrate creativity, initiative, and responsibility
6. Exercise and improve time and stress management skills
7. Observe and analyze professional behavior in the sport industry
8. Develop/cultivate problem solving skills
9. Create a professional resume
10. Assess and evaluate organization’s business and management practices.
Page last modified July 29, 2014