GVSU 20th/21st Century Piano Festival
Grand Valley State University, Allendale, Michigan
20th/21st Century Piano FESTIVAL and COMPETITION
Saturday, October 12, 2013
Performing Arts Center, Sherman Van Solkema Recital Hall
• This Festival is a celebration of 20th/21st century piano music with performances throughout the day.
• Every recital throughout the day is open to the public - listen to and enjoy the repertoire! Students play in a supportive venue where families, teachers, and friends are invited to be part of the audience. check us out on facebook....
ELEGIBILITY for the Festival:
1. Pre-college students eligible to participate.
2. The festival is divided into four age groups: elementary, intermediate, junior, and high school.
3. Each student performs one piece from the 20th or 21st centuries.
4. All students will play during the day as part of the Festival. Students may choose the option of competing. For students who would like to compete, please mark this on the registration form. Students who win first, second, and third places in each age group (along with the honorable mentions) will be called by the end of the day. The winners will not be announced during the festival. Winners’ names and photos will be placed on the Festival’s Facebook page.
PLEASE see Recommended repertoire list for MANY repertoire ideas. It is strongly encouraged that teachers think about choosing art music for their students and looking at the recommended repertoire list will give many interesting options. There is so much incredible music to choose from!
You will notice on the registration form that students can check one of the following: I would like to be considered for the competition OR I would only like to perform as a Festival member. If neither is checked then the student will be included in the festival only. (There will be one performance only though for either option!)
• All applications will be processed in the order received. The Festival board reserves the right to limit the number of contestants in each category in order to fill each recital time and also not go over. Repertoire changes are prohibited after students send in their registration forms.
• All teachers of participants will receive an evaluation of the student’s performance by a judge as well as a certificate of participation.
Students who play in this festival for THREE years will be awarded a handsome trophy. Please mark on the registration form if this is the year for your student to receive a trophy.
**All pieces must be memorized, unless a participant is playing a contemporary piece with non-traditional notation or rhythm, or has complicated contemporary rhythms and harmonies.**
The Festival recitals are as follows. All performances will be in the Sherman Van Solkema Recital Hall, on a new Steinway B grand piano.
Elementary level: (1st through 4th grade) - 11:00 a.m.
Intermediate level: (5th and 6th grade) - 12:00 noon
Junior level: (7th, 8th, and 9th grade) - 2:00 p.m.
High School level: (10th, 11th, and 12th grade) - 3:30 p.m.
All performances are open to the public. Video Taping is strictly PROHIBITED. Food and drink are not permitted in any GVSU concert hall. Photos may be taken after each recital.
• For all information, visit us on line at http://www.gvsu.edu/music
Find “Instrument Days and Festivals” in the tab on the left.
• You may register for the Festival by filling out the “registration form”. You can submit the registration form online, or print it and send it to: GVSU piano, ATTN: Dr. Helen Marlais, 1 Campus Dr. 1227 PAC, Allendale, MI 49401. In the future look at the GVSU website for the next festival/competition. The date will always be in October from now on.
• If you would like to have a list of 20th/21st century recommended repertoire list, visit the GVSU website and find “Instrument Days and Festivals”
• Students should bring the music for the judge with measures numbered (no photo-copies).
• The registration fee is $12.00/student. Please write your check payable to: GVSU piano festival, ATTN: Dr. Helen Marlais, 1 Campus Dr. 1227 PAC, Allendale, MI 49401
If you have questions, call the GVSU Music Office at 616-331-3484. Accommodations near GVSU’s campus: Sleep Inn, on Lake Michigan Drive. 616-892-8000.
Page last modified January 3, 2013