Music & Dance
2015 Instrumental Days and Festivals
20th/21st-Century Piano Music Festival
Grand Valley State University, Allendale, Michigan
Saturday, October 31, 2015
Performing Arts Center, Sherman Van Solkema Recital Hall
• This Festival is a celebration of 20th/21st-century piano music with performances throughout the day.
• Every recital throughout the day is open to the public - listen to and enjoy the repertoire!
• Students play in a supportive venue where families, teachers, and friends are invited to be part of the audience.
• Pre-college students are eligible to participate.
• The festival is divided into four age groups: elementary, intermediate, junior, and high school.
• Each student performs one piece from the 20th or 21st century.
• You may register for the Festival by filling out the “Registration Form.” You can submit an Online Registration Form, or print a paper copy of the Registration Form and send it to: GVSU piano, ATTN: Dr. Sookkyung Cho, 1 Campus Dr. 1228 PAC, Allendale, MI 49401.
• The registration fee is $15.00/student. Please write your check payable to: GVSU Piano Festival. Or you may pay the fee by using the Registration Form online.
• Registration forms and fees are due by Friday, October 16, 2015.
• Recommended Repertoire List is available on the festival website or by clicking on the Repertoire List.
• All registrations will be processed in the order received. The Festival board reserves the right to limit the number of participants in each category in order to fill each recital time and also not go over.
• Repertoire changes are prohibited after students send in their registration forms.
• All teachers of participants will receive an evaluation of the student’s performance by GVSU faculty.
• Students should bring the music with measures numbered (no photocopies, please).
• All pieces must be memorized. An exception may be made in case of playing a contemporary piece with exceptional difficulty.
• Every participating student will receive a Certificate of Participation. Students who play in this festival for THREE years will be awarded a handsome trophy. Please mark on the registration form if this is the year for your student to receive a trophy.
All performances will be in the Sherman Van Solkema Recital Hall, on a Steinway B grand piano.
Elementary Level: (1st through 4th grade) 10:00 a.m.
Intermediate Level: (5th and 6th grade) 11:00 a.m.
*Performances by GVSU Faculty and Students: 12:30 p.m.
Junior Level: (7th, 8th, and 9th grade) 1:00 p.m.
*Performances by GVSU Faculty and Students: 2:30 p.m.
High School Level: (10th, 11th, and 12th grade) 3:00 p.m.
* Prior to the Junior and High School Level Performances, GVSU will present a short concert by current faculty and students. This will include a premiere of a composition that the Festival has commissioned from Ted Goldman, Assistant Professor at Eastman School of Music, performed by current GVSU piano majors. All ages are welcome to come!
* All participating Junior and High School students must be seated at the participants’ seats before the GVSU performances begin (at 12:30 and 2:30 respectively), as their recitals will follow immediately. No late entry will be granted.
All performances are open to the public. Video Taping is strictly PROHIBITED. Audio recording may be purchased upon. Food and drink are not permitted in any GVSU concert halls. Photos may be taken after each recital.
QUESTIONS? Please do not hesitate to contact us - call the GVSU Music Office at 616-331-3484.
Page last modified August 17, 2015