Academic and Professional Enrichment Fund
APEF is OUT OF FUNDS for Apr 1 - Jun 30, 2013 travel.
We will be taking applications beginning June 1, 2013 for July 1 - September 30 travel.
|About APEF||Grant Requirements|
|Application Process||Grant Reimbursement Process|
|Award Amount||Helpful Information for Faculty|
|Eligibility||Helpful Information for Department Coordinators|
Formerly known as Student Enrichment Travel Grants, the Academic and Professional Enrichment Fund (APEF) provides travel funds to support undergraduate student travel to academic conferences and meetings coordinated by a faculty sponsor. APEF is available to all undergraduate students who may be looking for one time funding to attend an academic conference that is related to their major, minor, and/or professional goals, or to engage in a professional experience. Students must be accompanied by a coordinating faculty member. The APEF grant cannot be combined with the ACF grant.
Attending a conference with a faculty member can be a valuable experience which can enrich a student’s understanding of a discipline and subsequent professions. APEF is intended to assist students in attending such conferences. APEF is NOT intended to fund class trips.
APEF is divided into 4 allotments which are distributed equally over the fiscal year (July-September, October-December, January-March, April-June). Grants will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis each quarter (provided proposals meet established guidelines) until funds are exhausted for the quarter.
Please note: the APEF grant is coordinated by a faculty sponsor, but the funds are for student travel only. Faculty members and students are eligible for funding only once per fiscal year. No more than two grants per faculty department will be granted per quarter.
Download: APEF Application
|If travel is between:||You should apply:|
|July 1 - September 30||June 1 - August 31|
|October 1 - December 31||September 1 - November 30|
|January 1 - March 31||December 1 - February 28|
|April 1 - June 30||March 1 - May 31|
The faculty member applicant needs to complete the application form and obtain the required signatures.
Applications are due to the Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarship (181 LOH) beginning the first day of quarter opening (or first following business day) and no later than 30 days before the intended travel of the participants.
Awards of up to $400.00 will be granted per student for up to three students, totaling $1200.00 per faculty member. A faculty member may, if needed, apply for more than 3 students, however the award cap remains $1200.00. Contact the Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarship for additional information.
Funding is available to all tenure, tenure-track, visitor and affiliate faculty.
Funding eligibility is open to all undergraduate students who meet the following:
• Are at least halftime student of Grand Valley State University at time of travel (6 credits for undergraduates)
• Are in good academic standing with the university
To ensure each grant follows the purpose stated in this proposal, funded students will be required to submit the typed APEF Conference Report and Reflection to the Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarship within 10 business days from the last day of the conference. Students should e-mail their reports to email@example.com and CC the Faculty sponsor (ALL FORMS AND REPORTS MUST BE TYPED). Reimbursement funds will be released to the sponsoring department upon approval of the Report and Reflection(s). Students are expected to adhere to GVSU's Student Code. Failure to meet these requirements may result in loss of funding by APEF.
Grant Reimbursement Process
The department should work with the student(s) to determine travel arrangements. It is up to the department to decide how the travel will be initially funded, whether that be by department purchases, student out of pocket purchases, etc. The student(s) must submit the APEF Conference Report and Reflection to the Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarship within 10 business days from the last day of the conference. The student(s) should e-mail report(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org and CC the faculty member. The sponsoring department must request a reimbursement transfer by sending an IDC or Journal Entry form to Shelley Sickrey in 181 LOH, along with copies of student travel receipts (i.e. department purchases, student T&E forms and receipts, etc.). We will process the request for reimbursement transfer from the sponsoring department upon approval of the student report(s).
- Applying for the APEF grant
- Communicating APEF obligations to the students
- Communicating travel expense arrangements to the students
- Traveling to the conference with the students
- Making sure the students submit the APEF Conference Report and Reflection cover sheet, Activities Summary, and Reflection Essay to email@example.com within 10 business days from the last day of the conference
- The faculty member's department is responsible for the initial travel costs for the students
- APEF covers student costs ONLY (not faculty travel costs)
- APEF grants up to $400 per student for up to 3 students
- The faculty member's department must request reimbursement of student costs by submitting an IDC or Journal Entry form to Shelley Sickrey in 181 LOH, along with copies of the student travel receipts (i.e. department purchases, student T&E forms and receipts, etc.)
- APEF will process the request for reimbursement transfer from the faculty member's department upon approval of the student report(s)
- If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 331-8100
Page last modified March 18, 2013