What needs to accompany my application?
Application forms must be accompanied by:
- Your résumé
Proof that the paper or creative work has been accepted for presentation
- It must come from the conference organizers and include your name, the title of your presentation, and the name of the conference
- The recommendation of a faculty member who can speak to his/her support of your request for a travel grant, and attest to the quality of the work
*Your application will not be reviewed until we receive all of the necessary components.
How long does it take to review my application?
Please allow 10 business days to review applications. You will be notified via email once the review is complete.
Does ACF fund student organizations?
No; individuals receiving funds from the Academic Conference Fund may not also directly benefit from organization funding for the same trip provided to Registered Student Organizations through the Student Life Fund. Student Organizations have funding available through the Council and Funding Boards. Details can be found here: http://gvsu.edu/studentorg/councils-and-funding-boards-16.htm
Are presenters fulfilling a class requirement eligible for the award?
No; if the student presenting at the conference is doing so as a class requirement, they are not eligible to receive funds.
What does it mean to be "in good academic standing with the university?"
Each student must have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of a 2.000 or higher to be in good standing
Are students who are attending a conference or meeting as a participant only, eligible for funding?
No; participants are no longer eligible. Presenters who have proof of acceptance or an invitation to present at an academic conference or meeting are eligible to apply for ACF. Participants can receive funds through APEF.
Can I use APEF for one conference and ACF for a different conference?
No; students can only receive one grant per fiscal year.
How has the application changed?
The application now asks you to:
1. Please describe (Additional pages may be attached):
- the conference you will be attending (what organization is holding the conference, whether or not is it a scholarly venue, etc.)
- the particular section or panel in which your presentation has been accepted
2. In approximately 500-700 words, please discuss the broader impact that your presentation may have (additional pages may be attached). Your discussion must include:
- an explanation of what contribution to the scholarly community your research or project make will make
- a short bibliography of the literature/scholarly dialogue to which you will contribute
3. Please clearly describe and discuss your learning goals, including how this presentation relates to and advances your academic plans and intellectual development.
When will I get my reimbursement check?
Please allow 12-15 business days to process reimbursements. This allows for review and approval of your report and reflection, for us to submit a request to the accounting department, and for the accounting department's 7-10 business day processing time.
May I have someone else purchase my plane ticket?
Yes, BUT - only the person who purchased the ticket can be reimbursed the ticket. It is prefered that you make all purchases yourself for one complete reimbursement.
What if I am sharing a hotel room with another person?
If you are sharing a hotel room, then ask the desk clerk to split the bill at check-out. Many hotels are used to doing this. Be insistent if you must.
What if I cannot wait for a reimbursement?
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with an explanation of your circumstances. We cannot give travel advances through our office, but we will see what we can do on a case-by-case circumstance.
1. Apply for funding
Apply Online. You will need to upload your résumé and proof of acceptance to present at the conference. You will also enter the email address of the faculty member who will be asked to serve as a recommendation on your application.
2. Notification of Award
Applicants will be notified by email within 10 business days of the status of their grant application. Successful applicants will be sent an award letter and FERPA release that must be returned to 230 Mary Idema Pew Library to accept the award within 5 business days of grant notification.
3. Prepare reimbursement documents
All receipts must be submitted within 10 business days from the last day of the conference. See Travel and Expense Guidelines for acceptable reimbursements.
4. After the Conference
The student must submit to OURS within 10 business days from the last day of the conference the following (ALL FORMS AND REPORTS MUST BE TYPED):
- ACF Report and Reflection Form, Activities Summary, and Reflection Essay
- Reimbursement Form:
Grand Valley State University complies with the IRS regulations on reimbursements. Please be sure to review the GVSU Travel Policy and Procedures. All GVSU travel must adhere to the Travel & Expense Guidelines.
Page last modified November 5, 2013