Student Participant Information
Student Participant Information for Student Scholars Day
Interested in Participating in SSD, But Don't Have a Faculty Mentor?
- Visit the department faculty websites. Investigate faculty scholarship and choose a faculty member that may work on a topic of interest to you.
- Don't limit yourself only to faculty you've had class with. Talk with your peers about their classroom and mentor experiences.
- Request a meeting with a potential faculty mentor. Let them know that you are interested in their work. Ask them if they would be willing to mentor you in a project.
- Express your commitment and tell them a little about your educational and future goals.
- Working with a faculty mentor is a valuable experience, not just for Student Scholars Day, but for professional and personal development, as well.
Student Participant Responsibilities:
Successful outcomes for student participation in SSD require a commitment to the following Student Participant Responsibilities:
- Work collaboratively with Faculty Mentor to design and implement SSD project.
- Communicate regularly with Faculty Mentor regarding progress on the project.
- Meet SSD Registration deadlines for reserving a time and room, and for submitting a complete abstract, reviewed by your Faculty Mentor.
- Refer to Writing Center for help with abstract revision, as well as presentation preparation: www.gvsu.edu/wc/
- Refer to Preparing Presentations for information and resources related to presentation development.
- Work with Faculty Mentor to prepare and revise presentation well in advance of SSD.
- Use constructive Faculty Mentor feedback to improve skills relevant to your specific SSD presentation.
- Participate in SSD with a display of professionalism, as modeled by the Faculty Mentor.
- Work with faculty research advisor to gain proper HRRC or IACUC approval, prior to the start of the research. For students who are working on a pre-approved faculty project, a Change In Protocol form will need to be submitted to add the student as a key research personnel.
Registration Process Deadlines (Click Here for Registration Deadlines and Details)
- Registration Opens - submit initial presentation information to reserve room assignment and acquire Faculty Mentor confirmation.
- Registration Closes - This is the deadline to register presentation details, including a finished abstract. Please note: no late submissions or changes will be accepted beyond the registration deadline.
Any questions or comments about Student Scholars Day can be directed to the Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarship by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional Information about Poster Presentations and Oral Presentation are available via the navigation bar on the left.
Page last modified September 20, 2012