Physician Assistant Studies
Professional Level Curriculum Admission Criteria
September 16, 2013 DEADLINE
All application materials are due to GVSU's Admissions Office no later than September 16, 2013.
Admission to the Physician Assistant Studies Program is competitive. The criteria for consideration for admission, acceptance, and matriculation are based on the following:
2. Transcripts - students must submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended excluding GVSU transcripts.
3. Prereq Coursework - A minimum grade of “C” must be attained in each of GVSU's PAS program prerequisites.
Applicants must demonstrate a minimum 3.0 GPA IN each of the following categories:
- PAS program prerequisite courses
- Last 60 hours of coursework
- All PAS program prerequisite coursework and a bachelor's degree must be completed by the month of May prior to the fall semester before beginning the professional curriculum.
NOTICE . . . The following courses must be completed prior to application deadline:
4. Two recommendations from health professionals, must be submitted with the electronic Graduate Application. We recommend, but do not require, that at least one letter be from a practicing physician assistant. Separate letters from references are NOT required. Only TWO references are required.
5. Interviews. A select group of applicants will be offered an interview as the second part of the application process.
6. Experience. Applicants must complete 500-plus hours of significant volunteer and/or work and/or observational experience in a health care environment. This experience must be hands on patient care activities. This information should be documented on the graduate application. A minimum of 500 hours must be completed by the time of application.
7. Five Year Course Completion. The following courses must be less than 5 years old at the time of application:
- Human Anatomy
- Human Physiology
8. Students whose first language is not English should be able to communicate well in English. Any applicant whose undergraduate degree was earned at an institution where the primary language of instruction is not English must submit Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores. The minimum TOEFL score is 550 written, 79 Internet-based or 213 computer-based and the minimum IELTS score is 6.5. Submission of an official TOEFL or IELTS score report is required of applicants whose native language is not English.
9. International students must have 30 hours of higher education coursework taken at an established & accredited U.S. institution.
The student who feels they have highly unusual circumstances that impact their ability to meet the above criteria may appeal in writing to the PAS Admissions Committee.
Students will be informed of admission decisions after the Fall semester. Students are accepted for fall entrance only (August). Applicants may be placed on an alternate list to be offered positions in the entering class should a vacancy occur.
Applicants are considered without regard to age, gender, sexual orientation, race, color, national origin, religion, political beliefs, or disability. Motivational factors, life experiences, patient care experience, maturity, and personal characteristics as assessed in personal interviews, and recommendations are important factors in the selection process. An applicant’s academic record is important as an indicator of ability to succeed in an intensive and rigorous medical curriculum. Applicants must meet certain health and technical standards that demonstrate their capacity to function as a physician assistant.
Advanced placement is not granted into the PAS program. All students must complete the full program. However, if students who apply to GVSU PAS believe they bring certain course work that may satisfy program requirements, they may submit a letter in writing to the program. This letter would include the official transcript of the course with grade as well as the syllabus of record. Approval is up to the individual GVSU course instructors with final approval from the PAS program. This information will only be addressed after acceptance into the GVSU PAS program. This information is not about high school 'advanced placement' coursework.
ALL application materials must be submitted to:
Grand Valley State University
1 Campus Drive
Allendale, MI 49401-9403
Page last modified May 21, 2013