Acquisition and Disposal

Who has authority to make purchases for the University?

Purchasing is responsible for the acquisition of all materials, supplies and services costing more than $5,000, as well as both purchased and rental equipment. The University's purchasing card provides an option for the departments to handle small orders. This purchase option is limited to a maximum of $1,000. Purchase exceptions include furniture, equipment, computer hardware and printing services.

What is the University's bid policy?

The Board of Trustees policy requires written competitive quotations for purchases of $5,000 to $24,999. It requires competitive sealed bids for purchases of $25,000 and greater.

What are the benefits of a Purchasing Card and how can I get one?

The Purchasing Card program will provide departments and/or designated individuals with a Visa credit card to make timely and efficient acquisitions of small dollar purchases. All charges are billed directly to the University. This credit card is used much like a personal credit card, but it is intended for business use only and will have some restrictions. Visit the Purchasing Card program page for additional information, then complete and submit an application to participate in the program.

Who has authority to dispose of University property?

Purchasing Services is responsible for the orderly disposal of surplus, obsolete and worn out equipment (GVSU Procedures Manual, Section 6). All items acquired by University departments, regardless of funding source, are considered property of the University and subject to the University's Property Disposal Policy and Procedures. Contact Purchasing at (616) 331-2283 if you have any questions or need assistance.

Does my department receive the proceeds from sale of surplus property?

Proceeds from any sale of surplus property will be deposited in a general revenue fund. Requests for transfer of funds to a specific department must be submitted in writing to the Assistant Vice President for Business and Finance.