3rd annual Advancing the STEM Agenda Conference to be held in Grand Rapids June 3-4, 2013
The American Society for Quality Education Division has teamed up with Grand Valley State University’s (GVSU) Seymour and Esther Padnos College of Engineering and Computing for the 3rd annual Advancing the STEM Agenda Conference in Education, the Workplace and Society with a theme of “Collaboration with Industry on STEM Education.” STEM educators at all levels will find something of interest at this conference, which will be held in Grand Rapids on June 3-4, 2013 on the GVSU Pew Campus.
Keynotes and breakout sessions will discuss partnerships between secondary education and industry, and K-12 STEM outreach efforts to inspire students to choose STEM careers. Presentations will address the STEM gap, attracting more women and minorities to STEM college majors and STEM teacher education programs. In addition, one of the tracks for the breakout sessions will provide learning opportunities on “College-Ready in STEM and Transition to College.”
Significantly, GVSU’s School of Engineering was recognized by the National Academy of Engineering as an exemplar of “Real World Engineering Education” for its scaffolded co-op to interdisciplinary industry-based capstone project program. Visit youtube for examples of GVSU’s efforts in collaboration with industry.
We are very excited about our keynote speakers:
- Paul D. Plotkowki, Dean of the Seymour and Esther Padnos College of Engineering and Computing, GVSU.
- Glenn Walters, Deputy Cabinet Secretary at New Mexico Higher Education Department.
- Reginald McGregor, Manager of Engineering Employee Development R &T Strategy at Rolls-Royce Corporation (RRC) in Indianapolis, Indiana and chair of the RRC Engineering Education Council.
- Carrie Houtman, Manager at Dow Chemical, and in the past year, led Dow’s STEM Education initiatives and represented Dow at think tanks, trade associations and most notably as part of President Obama’s Advanced Manufacturing Partnership.
We will also have four workshops:
- Improving Graduation Rates at a Comprehensive University: A Case Study of Institutional Alignment and Process Improvement in Higher Education
- How to Make Your Entrepreneurial Dreams a Reality
- Developing Highly Effective Industry Partnerships: Co-op to Capstone Courses
- Implementing and Assessing STEM Learning Communities
Our breakout sessions will be announced in mid-April; we expect to have four tracks of breakout sessions.
Page last modified April 5, 2013