Regional Math and Science Center
April 30, 2014
Michigan High School Math and Science Symposium
June 24, 2014
Register Now for Grandparents, Grandkids, Grand Valley! Camp
Advanced Placement (AP) Statistics Summer Workshop
June 24, 2013
Time: 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Location: GVSU Allendale Campus
This workshop is for you if you've been interested in any of the following:
- Learning ways to (better) teach the four main topics of AP Statistics (descriptive statistics, experimental design, probability, and inference)
- Preparing a course syllabus and selecting an appropriate textbook
- Finding ways to better prepare students for taking the AP Statistics examination, including the preparation of practice exams
- Applying AP Statistics examination scoring rubrics to model student responses
- Being more efficient with course management (including student recruitment and course pacing)
- Discovering AP Statistics best practices through the sharing of ideas with fellow teachers
Christine Franklin and Neal Rogness (with involvement of multiple GVSU statistics faculty)
- MA, University of NC - Greensboro, Mathematics and Statistics, 1980
- Senior lecturer and Undergraduate Coordinator in Statistics at the University of Georgia (UGA), Athens
- 33 years of teaching experience as a university statistics faculty member
- Honored as ASA Fellow for contributions to statistics education
- Recognized as the UGA outstanding Honors Professor for five different years
- Author of approximately 50 journal statistics-based articles and resource materials for statistics textbooks
- Co-author (with Alan Agresti) of Statistics: The Art and Science of Learning from Data, an introductory statistics textbook for college and AP Statistics – now in its 3rd edition
- Lead writer for the American Statistical Association Pre K-12 Guidelines for Assessment and Instruction in Statistical Education (GAISE) Framework
- Over 15 years experience with AP Statistics including service as a Table Leader, a Question Leader, and the Chief Reader, Member of the test development committee (6 years total)
- College Board certified presenter for AP Statistics workshops
- Conducted at least one week-long AP Statistics workshop each year since 2000
- Conducted approximately 30 professional development workshops for both AP Statistics and K-12 statistics since 2000
Presented over 75 invited talks on statistics education at the pre K-12 and undergraduate levels
- Ph.D. in Applied Statistics and Research Methods, University of Northern Colorado, 1993
- Professor of Statistics at GVSU
- Nearly 25 years experience in teaching statistics at the undergraduate level
- AP Statistics Reader for three years
- Proposer of and 10-year Committee Chair for GVSU’s Student Scholarship Day, a day-long professional conference for students to showcase faculty-mentored research and other creative endeavors
- Proposer of and inaugural chair for the Michigan Statistics Poster Competition
Author of journal articles and presenter/co-presenter of statistics education-focused sessions (including statistical consulting and lexical ambiguity)
June 24 - 27, 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. June 28, 8:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
This workshop will take place on the GVSU Allendale Campus in Mackinac Hall.
The maximum enrollment in the workshop is 20 participants, filled on a first-come basis. Register early!
EXTENDED Registration Deadline
May 24th, 2013
- Registration: $100
Your registration fee includes:
- instructional materials
- on-campus parking
- lunch, and morning/afternoon refreshments.
- Evening meals are at the expense of participants. Lodging is not included, but reasonably-priced housing options are available for both on- and off-campus.
- Participants are strongly encouraged to bring their own TI 84 or TI 84+ calculator to the workshop.
- An application must be accompanied by either a copy of the school purchase order or a check made payable to Grand Valley State University.
- Should you need to cancel, please do so via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax (616-331-3412). A cancellation received by June 3, 2013 will be refunded. No refunds will be issued for cancellations received after June 3, 2013. A school may substitute another teacher for a paid workshop registrant if the request is submitted in writing using the above email address or fax number.
For More Information
Contact Neal Rogness, email@example.com, or Chelsea Miedema, firstname.lastname@example.org, at the Regional Math and Science Center, 616-331-2267.
This workshop is being sponsored by a Michigan Space Consortium Grant (pending award) as well as the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Deans Office, the Statistics Department, and the Regional Math and Science Center at GVSU. While this workshop is not endorsed by the College Board, Christine Franklin is College Board certified to conduct AP Statistics workshops.
AP, Advanced Placement Program, and College Board are registered trademarks of the College Board.