Student Academic Success Center

Academic Standing at Grand Valley State University: Probation, Jeopardy of Dismissal (JD) and Dismissal Standards

Grand Valley has a minimum level of academic achievement for undergraduate students based on the total number of credits completed.  A student can be placed on a probationary status or a jeopardy of dismissal status.  See the chart below for more information:

Grade Level Semester Hours
Cumulative GPA for Dismissal Cumulative GPA for Probation
Freshman 0-24 1.500 or less 1.501-1.999
Sophomore 25-54 1.800 or less 1.801-1.999
Junior 55-84 1.999 or less Not applicable
Senior 85+ 1.99 or less Not applicable

See the Academic Review Policy and the Student Academic Grievance Procedures
in the GVSU catalog under Academic Policies and Regulations for more details.

I’ve been dismissed from GVSU! What now?

I’m on Jeopardy of Dismissal (JD)/Probation Students. What should I do?

  • Meet with Academic Advisor

    It is recommended that you complete an assessment/plan and discuss it with your academic advisor or other support staff at Grand Valley.  Meeting with an academic advisor can help you to:

    • Evaluate your approach to your coursework and make changes as needed
    • Identify obstacles from the previous semester that impacted your academic success and discuss resources that might help you

GVSU Resources



FAQ – Jeopardy of Dismissal (JD)/Probation


What is the difference between Academic Probation and Jeopardy of Dismissal?

Your academic standing is based on both your cumulative GPA and the number of credit hours you have earned.  Freshman and sophomores may be placed on Probation rather than on Jeopardy of Dismissal if their GPA is either 1.5 or higher (for freshman) or 1.8 or higher (for sophomores).  Probation status gives you an additional semester to bring your GPA up to good standing.  You must be placed on Jeopardy of Dismissal the semester prior to being dismissed.  See Academic policy for more details (link)  


Will I lose my financial aid if I am on academic probation/JD?

If you are on academic probation or JD, your financial status may also be impacted.  Financial aid standards are similar but slightly different than academic standards.  Please visit the FA website for more information about financial aid standards  (LINK).  Be aware that you may need to appeal for continued financial aid if your GPA is below a 2.0.  


If I don’t get a 2.5 and have a 2.0 cumulative GPA after this semester, will I be dismissed?

If you are on Jeopardy of Dismissal status, you must earn a 2.5 in the current semester OR have a cumulative GPA of at least a 2.0 to avoid academic dismissal.  You do not have to have both.  If you are on Academic Probation and do not earn a 2.0 cumulative you may either remain on Probation or move to Jeopardy of Dismissal status depending on your GPA.


What is the quickest way to return to good academic standing?

To improve your GPA the quickest, you should consider retaking courses that you have done poorly in as soon as possible.  You should also look carefully at the credit load and the course rigor of your current schedule to make sure you put yourself in the best possible position to do well and improve your GPA.  Talking with your academic advisor about your schedule and course load is a good idea.  Also be sure to use the support resources available to you at Grand Valley so that you can have a good semester and return to good academic standing.  (LINK)


What happens to my first grade if I repeat a course that I did not do well in?

When you repeat a course, the most recent earned grade will be used in your GPA calculation.  The earlier grade will be suppressed from the calculation.  Keep in mind that some secondary admission programs may consider your earlier grades in their admission process.


Can I repeat a course that I failed this summer at a community college?

Yes, you can take a course at a community college and transfer that in to Grand Valley.  The grade you earn at another college is not transferred, however, your Grand Valley grade in the course that you repeated will be suppressed from your GPA calculation.  Please make sure to refer to the transfer equivalency guide to make sure that the course you are taking is a direct equivalent  (LINK).  It is also a good idea to discuss your options with an academic advisor to make an informed choice.    


What should I do to improve my GPA?

There are many things that you can do to improve your GPA.  First make sure that your current schedule is appropriate by talking with your academic advisor. Make sure you utilize all the resources available to you including tutoring, meeting with your professors outside of class and study groups.  Assess your study habits by reviewing information on the Learning Skills website (LINK) and/or meet with a study skill coach to discuss ways to improve your approach to learning.  Attend Academic Success Workshops (LINK) to learn strategies for studying and managing your time.  


How can I figure out what grades I need to earn to bring my GPA up to a 2.0?

You can calculate your GPA by using the grade calculator through the MyPath program (LINK) or if you are repeating course, you can re-calculate your apa by using the Calculator Worksheet (LINK).  Your academic advisor can help you with this as well. 



 What happens if I am dismissed from Grand Valley?  Can I appeal?

If you are dismissed from Grand Valley, you may appeal your dismissal after a year.  

GVSU Policy:  A dismissed student may apply for readmission after a period of one full calendar year following dismissal. Evidence of maturity and improved attitude toward academics, and written support from an academic advisor must accompany the appeal for readmission. All appeals are considered by the Academic Review Committee and the results are communicated to the student in writing (or by phone depending on the time of year). Approval of a petition to return allows the student to enroll on a conditional basis, as stipulated by the Committee, and enrollment status will be Jeopardy of Dismissal.

If there are extenuating circumstances related to your dismissal, please discuss this with an academic advisor to see if it is appropriate for you to appeal sooner.


Page last modified August 4, 2014