Service Learning Network
At-a-Glance: Checklist for Faculty
Use this checklist to be sure you have exercised all reasonable actions to mediate the risks involved in your students’ service-learning work.
- I have reviewed this Service-Learning Risk Management Guide.
- I have discussed with my community partners the scope of the work my students will do (and, if appropriate, will not do).
- We have listed possible risks inherent to the work, location, and neighborhood.
- I have visited the site(s) to determine if it is acceptable for my students to be there.
- The students have an in-class AND on-site orientation to discuss the determined risks and procedures to mitigate those risks.
- I have made available to my students the trainings and resources offered by Grand Valley State University University.
- I have provided my students with the list of important phone numbers, including their community site contact information.
- I have encouraged my students to share any concerns with me, and/or the Community Service Learning Center.
- I have a plan to regularly ask students how their work is going and if they have any concerns.
- I have a plan to regularly ask my community partners how the students are doing and if they have any concerns.
- If this activity is part of a class, I have included a description of the activity that includes any special requirements in the syllabus. Educational objectives have also been included within this syllabus.
- A signed affiliation agreement or contract has been signed if necessary. Contact Legal Counsel office to assess the need for such an agreement.
- An experiential learning plan (service learning plan) has been submitted to your UH or Dean.
- I have considered the risks associated with the service learning component and, when appropriate, have developed an emergency plan. These include risks inherent to the work, location, and neighborhood. The emergency plan includes a list of important phone numbers, including their community site contact information.
- If appropriate, I have received a signed Waiver of Liability form from each student/participant.
- If appropriate, I have received a signed parental consent form for any student/participant under age 18.
For further support or to ask questions, contact:
University Counsel Office
Risk Management Office
Reference: Risk Reduction Task Force, Grand Valley State University College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. (2011). Identifying and managing risk associated with experiential learning. Unpublished manuscript, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Grand Valley State University, Allendale, Michigan.
Page last modified August 27, 2011