School of Social Work
MSW Admission and Academic Requirements
Director of Recruitment and Admissions: Lois Smith Owens, MSW
Students who meet the following University requirements and the additional requirements of their chosen program are granted degree-seeking status.
- Submit the GVSU graduate school application and MSW application for admission, including a recent resume, and a personal statement.
- Possess the baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
- Have a cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Have a broad liberal arts background, as well as a minimum of 18 credit hours in social or behavioral science courses.
- Official transcripts sent/submitted from each undergraduate and graduate institution attended.
- Enclose a non-refundable $30.00 application fee.
Admission Policies for MSW Degree
Applicants for regular admission must demonstrate 18 hours of social science coursework and complete the social sciences checklist to indicate the courses that meet this requirement.
Undergraduate academic work must reflect a liberal arts foundation.
If the applicant does not meet requirements but believes there are circumstances or conditions that strengthen their application, they are invited to provide a rationale regarding alternative criteria.
Non-Degree Seeking Students:
Applicants who are not seeking the MSW degree or have not completed all of the admissions requirements are considered to be Non-Degree seeking. These students may earn up to six social work credits in the School of Social Work by selecting up to two of the following courses: SW600, SW601, SW610 and SW620.
Page last modified January 25, 2012