Your commitment to being a student at Grand Valley State University begins with a fundamental understanding and appreciation of the mission, vision and values of GVSU. It is expected that all community members will uphold the following Laker Values:
As a Grand Valley State University student, I will take responsibility for my learning.
- I will attend class and class activities. I understand this means being on time, being prepared, and participating.
- I will study for my classes. I understand that this includes seeking out support services which will improve my academic success.
- I will practice academic integrity. I will take credit only for my own work and will recognize and credit others for their words, thoughts, and ideas.
- I will utilize my course choices at GVSU to include subjects I know little about.
- I will be purposeful with my time at GVSU to become a successful student both in and out of the classroom.
- I will prepare myself for life-long learning, following the traditions of a liberal education.
As a Grand Valley State University student, I will be an engaged member of the university community.
- I will strive to learn about people different from myself, and will not tolerate hateful remarks and actions.
- I will take responsibility for my own actions, inactions, and words.
- I will follow State and Federal Law, the Student Code, and university policies.
- I will maintain my personal health and wellness.
- I will seek out campus involvement opportunities outside of class activities.
- I will help the members of my community live by the Laker Values we have pledged to uphold.
As a Grand Valley State University student, I will give back to my community.
- I will be aware of my surroundings by understanding the needs and the concerns of the world around me.
- I will serve as an active citizen, by participating in activities which will benefit the GVSU, local, and global communities.
I pledge to uphold the Laker Values as an individual, a student, and a community member.
Page last modified August 17, 2012