Collegiate Chapter of the National Association for Music Education
Academic & Professional
We are an organization that advocates music education and provides resources for music education majors, music performance majors, music minors and anyone who advocates music who is not a major.
The Mission of NAfME:
The National Association for Music Education is to advance music education by encouraging the study and making of music by all.
By being a member you will gain:
- access to a well rounded knowledge of music and education.
- access to music conferences in and out of the state of
- increased credentials on your resume.
- information on the latest advancements in music education through monthly MENC journals and other resources.
- a connection to students all over your state and country.
- access to fun events like organization parties, concerts, clinics, panels, etc.
- friendships with students who have the same passion for music as yourself at GVSU.
Our Chapter Goals:
- To prepare students to be able to teach and appreciate music at a higher level.
- Increase music appreciation in area schools.
- Give the ability for students to learn from each other and enjoy each others company through events and activities.
Purpose of MENC:
§ The purpose of this organization is for the education of students to advance music in education.
§ It conducts activities and programs to increase music appreciation and knowledge for everyone.
§ It makes available to students a well rounded, complete instruction to music.
§ Was created to improve the quality of teaching, learning, and research in music.
§ Shows that persons of all ages can learn music.
§ Preparation for music teachers and advocates of any kind.
Background of MENC:
§Founded in 1907 with 64 members.
§ Today’s membership has grown to almost 120,000 members including music teachers, university faculty and researchers, high school honor society members and college students.
§ The organization kept the name of Music Educators National Conference from the actual music educator’s conference with the same name. In 1998 the name was changed to MENC: The National Association for Music Education.
§ CMENC is the college chapter of MENC and there are college chapters all over the country.This page was last edited on December 23, 2012 at 8:20 PM