NOTE: New Student Organizations will not be recognized officially at GVSU between May 1-July 31. The New Student Organization registration process through OrgSync will be turned off until August 1st, at which time new student organizations can submit their materials online for recognition.
It is easy to start a student organization at Grand Valley. If you don’t see a student organization on OrgSync that you would like to be active with, then help get one started. The steps to do so are below:
Step 1: Attend a new organization orientation session with an Student Org. Center (SOC) Consultant. This is a 25-30 minute meeting to go over how to get started & the benefits, policies & responsibilities of being a registered student organization. These sessions are held at 5:30pm every Thursday evening in the SOC (0008 Kirkhof). Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about this session.
Step 2: Complete your organization's OrgSync Profile online; email email@example.com if you encounter any issues.
Step 3: Set up a meeting with your Council advisor to discuss your category & requirements; a council advisor listing can be found here.
Once these steps have been completed, the new student organization then goes before the Student Org. Review Board for final approval
Requirements for registration
An organization MUST have the following for approval:
1. A minimum of four students, each serving as an officer to the organization.
2. A current full-time faculty/staff member to serve as an advisor or a Division of Student Services graduate student at GVSU.
3. A constitution* that must be uploaded to OrgSync. Must include the following clauses: Purpose - describes the organization's mission and intent on campus; Anti-discrimination policy - must be at least compliant with GVSU's policy; Dissolution - Disbursement of organization resources upon disbandment of organization. Must be given to a non-profit organization or an on-campus fund such as the Student Legacy Scholarship. Organization's funds CANNOT be given to members.
* To view the blank constitution available for reference, click here.
* For PowerPoint instructions on how to create a organization, click here
A more comprehensive outline is available in the RSO Handbook.
For assistance in starting a student organization, please contact the SOC staff - Kirkhof Center 0008. Make a point to come speak with us or call (616) 331-2360.
New organizations can be started at any time during the Fall & Winter semesters. Please do not register a new organization during the summer until the first week of class. There are no SORB meetings held in the summer to review statuses. However, new organizations are still able to participate in the Fall Campus Life Night and MAX-It Out without final approval.